Home / Cowboys / NFL Notes: Cardale Jones, Cowboys, Dolphins, & Jets
NFL Notes: Cardale Jones, Cowboys, Dolphins, & Jets
- Jason Cole of B/R reports that Ohio State QB Cardale Jones is more than likely to turn pro, but some close to him are advising he stay and graduate before transferring to play a full season.
- Cole adds that Jones needs playing time, quarterbacks who don’t graduate are “viewed dimly by NFL,” and he could drop as far as to the fifth round in next year’s draft.
- Brandon George of the Dallas Morning News writes that LB Sean Lee (hamstring) could lose out on $2 million if h’s unable to play in Week 17.
- Lee’s contract includes a play-time incentive in his contract that requires him to play 80 percent or more of the Cowboys’ defensive snaps this season in order to increase his 2016 base salary by $2 million to $5 million.
- As of now, Lee has played in 82.1 percent, but missing Sunday’s game could drop that to 77 percent, assuming the Cowboys run something close to the 66 plays per game they’ve averaged this season.
- Dolphins owner Stephen Ross and VP of football operations Mike Tannenbaum took in the Michigan game on Friday, according to Jason Cole.
- However, sources tells Cole that there’s “zero chance” of the Dolphins hiring Jim Harbaugh away from Ross’ alma mater.
- Cole mentions that if the Lions fire their coaching staff, the Dolphins would be wise to consider their DC Teryl Austin, who has done a great job working with DT Ndamukong Suh in the past.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN writes the biggest name in regards to a potential cap casualty for the Jets is likely to be CB Antonio Cromartie.
- In the end, Cimini expects them to cut Cromartie and eliminate his $8 million cap figure.
- According to Cimini, it probably doesn’t make a lot of sense for the Jets to cut former first-round CB Dee Milliner, who carries a $4 million cap figure in 2016, because it’s already guaranteed.
- Other cap casualties for the Jets could include WR Jeremy Kerley and/or TE Jeff Cumberland.
- Cimini doesn’t rule out Jets GM Mike Maccagnan making a bold move or two to get younger.
- The Jets could approach LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson and C Nick Mangold about reworked contracts.
Tags Antonio Cromartie Cardale Jones D'Brickashaw Ferguson Dee Milliner Jeff Cumberland Jeremy Kerley Jim Harbaugh Nick Mangold Sean Lee Teryl Austin