ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the 49ers are expected to choose between Chip Kelly and Mike Shanahan for their next head coach.
Schefter adds that a decision is likely to be made in the next 24 hours.
- Ian Rapoport reports that Tom Coughlin also doesn’t see the 49ers as being a fit for him, given how far away they are from his family. Even so, Rapoport doesn’t get the sense that the 49ers are out on Coughlin.
- Matt Barrows reports that 49ers could hire John DeFlippo as their offensive coordinator if they bring in Mike Shanahan as their next head coach.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the 49ers interviewed Mike Shanahan for their head-coaching vacancy on Tuesday. According to Rapoport, interest in Shanahan has “ramped up considerably” since then.
The 49ers have interviewed seven candidates since they parted ways with Jim Tomsula. This group consists of Mike Shanahan, Bengals OC Hue Jackson, Chip Kelly, Browns OC John Defilippo, Buccaneers OC Dirk Koetter, Tom Coughlin, and Bills assistant head coach/RBs Anthony Lynn.
However, recent reports have said that Defilippo may only be an offensive coordinator candidate for San Francisco.
Mike Holmgren expressed interest in the job as well.
We’ll have more regarding the 49ers job as news is available.
Ian Rapoport of NFL Media confirms that Mike Shanahan has, in fact, reentered the picture in regards to 49ers’ head-coaching vacancy.
However, Rapoport mentions that the 49ers are waiting to figure out the Tom Coughlin situation after reaching out to him.
- Dianna Marie Russini reports that veteran HC Mike Shanahan appears to be “strongly back in the mix” for the 49ers’ head-coaching vacancy. Russini adds that it appears as though the 49ers are closing on hiring someone to be their next head coach.
- Jason Cole reports that the 49ers like Shanahan because he could bring discipline to the team and has connections to the Walsh era.
- Mike Silver of NFL Media expects the 49ers to ultimately choose between hiring Tom Coughlin, Dirk Koetter, Chip Kelly, and Mike Shanahan as their next head coach with a decision coming at some point in the near future.
- Silver doesn’t expect the 49ers to interview any more candidates for their head-coaching vacancy.
Matt Barrows reports that the 49ers have completed their interview with former Giants HC Tom Coughlin regarding their head-coaching vacancy.
- Tim Kawakami reports that it sounds like the 49ers are no longer in the Hue Jackson sweepstakes. According to Kawakami, San Francisco could still get back in the mix Jackson, but it appears as though their pursuit of him is over for now.
- Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the 49ers are interviewing former Giants HC Tom Coughlin on Tuesday for their vacancy.
- Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports reports that the Giants have granted the 49ers permission to interview Tom Coughlin.
According to Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee, the 49ers could be contemplating a scenario in which they would hire Tom Coughlin as their head coach and hire Browns OC John DeFilippo is the heir apparent.
DeFilippo is scheduled to talk to the Rams about their offensive coordinator opening today.
This will be Coughlin’s second interview after he’s done meeting with the Eagles on Monday. Teams need to get permission to speak with Coughlin because he resigned and still has one year remaining on his contract.
Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area reports that the 49ers and Bengals OC Hue Jackson had a “productive meeting” in Cincinnati Sunday morning.
Jackson is considered a “serious candidate” to be the next 49ers’ head coach, but the team has yet to make an offer to any candidate.
According to Maiocco’s source, although it’s unlikely that the 49ers will hire their next head coach today, San Francisco could have someone in place “fairly soon.”
- Mike Silver of NFL Media reports that the 49ers have completed their interview with Bengals OC Hue Jackson, and he’s now scheduled to meet with the Browns in the coming hours.
- Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Jackson, who is interviewing with the 49ers on Sunday, could end up being hired as the team’s next head coach as soon as today, depending on how the meeting goes.
- Rick Stroud reports that Buccaneers OC Dirk Koetter “really impressed” the 49ers during his interview with the on Saturday.
Tim Kawakami reports that the 49ers did interview Browns OC John DeFilippo, but mainly as an offensive coordinator candidate in case they don’t land Bengals OC Hue Jackson.
- According to Kawakami, if the 49ers have to extend their head-coaching search, they could include defensive-minded candidates while packaging him with DeFilippo as offensive coordinator.
- However, Kawakami adds that Jackson is still viewed as the “front-runner” for the 49ers’ job.
- Regarding Chip Kelly, Kawakami mentions that San Francisco decided Jackson was their guy after their meeting with Kelly.
Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee reports that the 49ers interviewed Buccaneers OC Dirk Koetter on Saturday regarding their head-coaching job. According to Barrows, the meeting took place in Tampa Bay.
Bengals OC Hue Jackson is scheduled to meet with the 49ers on Sunday.
- Tim Kawakami, citing an NFL source, reports that Jackson is the “clear front-runner” for the 49ers head-coach job, pending his Sunday interview.
- Kawakami adds that if the Bengals win on Saturday, the 49ers can interview Jackson the following day, but can’t officially hire him until Cincinnati’s season is over.
- Albert Breer mentions that Jackson is in “good shape” in regards to the 49ers’ job now that Sean Payton is remaining in New Orleans.
- Eric Branch reports that the 49ers have not contacted Mike Holmgren regarding their head-coach job.
- Meanwhile, Bill Williamson reports Holmgren would be open to talking to teams with vacancies, especially the 49ers.
- Adam Schefter reports that the 49ers will meet with Browns OC John Defilippo regarding their head-coaching position.
Matt Maiocco reports that the the 49ers have met with former Eagles coach Chip Kelly regarding the head-coaching job.
- Jason La Canfora reports that the 49ers began considering the idea of hiring Kelly once they made the decision to fire Jim Tomsula. La Canfora believes San Francisco could be Kelly’s best and only potential landing spot.
- According to Maiocco, the 49ers also interviewed Bills assistant HC/RBs coach Anthony Lynn on Thursday.
Jason Cole of B/R reports that the 49ers are “overwhelmingly” looking for an offensive-minded head coach with guys like Bears OC Adam Gase and Buccaneers OC Dirk Koetter being mentioned as possibilities.
- However, Cole mentions that they’re “very interested” in Bengals OC Hue Jackson. The 49ers could also interest Stanford HC David Shaw in the coming weeks for their vacancy, according to Cole.
- ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the 49ers requested permission to interview Buccaneers OC Dirk Koetter on Tuesday, but haven’t heard back from them.
- Albert Breer reports that the 49ers will interview Bengals OC Hue Jackson on Sunday following their playoff game against the Steelers.
Dianna Marie Russini is now reporting that the meeting between the 49ers and veteran HC Mike Shanahan is now on hold.
- Josina Anderson of ESPN reports that the 49ers have scheduled an interview with Bills assistant head coach/RBs Anthony Lynn for this week.
San Francisco has reportedly requested an interview with Bengals OC Hue Jackson.
Mike Silver of NFL Media reports that the 49ers have requested an interview with Bengals OC Hue Jackson regarding their head-coaching vacancy.
This comes after Albert Breer mentioned that if the 49ers can’t land Saints HC Sean Payton, Jackson is likely the name to watch for their job. Breer mentions that Jackson worked with 49ers GM Trent Baalke while in Washington.
49ers CEO Jed York announced that Baalke will remain with the team, even after they fired HC Jim Tomsula last night.
Baalke will be responsible for hiring the team’s next head coach and also has ties to Payton. Although, trading for Payton could require them to part with a second-round pick.
Adam Schefter reports that former Eagles HC Chip Kelly has reached out to them regarding their head-coaching vacancy.
- According to Schefter, the 49ers will at the very least consider the possibility of hiring Kelly.
- Meanwhile, Ian Rapoport reports that Mike Shanahan has expressed interest in the 49ers’ job.
San Francisco parted ways with Jim Tomsula last night, and despite the team’s struggles in 2015, it appears as though there is a decent amount of interest in their head-coaching vacancy