Home / 49ers / NFL Notes: Tom Coughlin, Jim Tomsula, Bengals, Colts, & Giants
NFL Notes: Tom Coughlin, Jim Tomsula, Bengals, Colts, & Giants
- Tom Coughlin told reporters during his press conference that he isn’t “necessarily done with coaching.” (Mike Garafolo)
- Giants owner John Mara says he asked Coughlin to stay on and help the organization and share his perspective and he agreed to consider it. (Mike Garafolo)
- Jason La Canfora reports that NFL teams have already been in contact with former 49ers HC Jim Tomsula about defensive coordinator and defensive line coach opportunities.
- Bob Holtzman reports that Bengals QB Andy Dalton had his cast removed, but his availability for Saturday’s game against the Steelers is still uncertain.
- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports that the Colts did not make a run at hiring Alabama HC Nick Saban prior to signing Chuck Pagano to an extension Monday night.
- Regarding the report that the Colts contacted Sean Payton before signing Chuck Pagano to an extension, Jason La Canfora reports that there was no contact between the Colts and Payton or his agent.
- According to La Canfora, Jim Irsay’s decision had nothing to do with Payton.
- Giants owner John Mara said of the team’s roster: “We have a lot of holes to fill, particularly on the defensive side of the ball.” (Jason La Canfora)
- Mara attributed poor draft classes to the team’s recent slump and added that changes could be made on the personnel side. (Albert Breer)
- Mara said that they plan to have an extensive search for their head-coaching position while adding that both Ben McAdoo and Steve Spagnuolo will be interviewed. (Jason La Canfora)
- Mara admitted that having to change the offense again would be a factor in decisions but that can’t be “an overriding” factor. (Jason La Canfora)
- Mara mentioned that he and GM Jerry Reese will do the initial interviews and come back with recommendation for finalists for expanded interviews. (Jason La Canfora)
- Regarding Resse’s status with the team, Mara said: “I still believe Jerry Reese is the right guy to lead us forward. … I still think he’s capable of putting a great team together.” (Albert Breer)
Tags andy dalton Ben McAdoo Chuck Pagano Jerry Reese Jim Irsay Jim Tomsula Nick Saban Sean Payton Steve Spagnuolo Tom Coughlin