- Scott Taylor reports that Browns QB Johnny Manziel was cited four driving with expired plates in North Olmsted, Ohio at 8:28 am on January 2nd.
- A Buccaneers’ coach tells Tom Pelissero of the decision to fire HC Lovie Smith: “We are all in shock.”
- Peter Schrager reported that Buccaneers OC Dirk Koetter was surprised as everyone by the move.
- Albert Breer points out that Lovie Smith had control of the team’s 53-man roster, so a structural change could be coming.
- Jason La Canfora suggests the Buccaneers should consider Jameis Winston‘s college coach, Jimbo Fisher, for the head coaching vacancy.
- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk offers some names to keep an eye on for the Buccaneers’ job including: Jaguars assistant HC Doug Marrone, Tom Coughlin, Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher, Chip Kelly, Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, Mike Shanahan and Mike Holmgren among others.
St. Louis Gov. Jay Nixon took exception to Rams owner Stan Kroenke’s proposal to relocate the team to Los Angeles.
“Our fans support their professional and amateur teams,” said Nixon, via the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “Especially ones that win.”
St. Louis County Executive Steve Stenger called Kroenke an “absentee owner” and his claim that the city of St. Louis lacks the economic vitality to support a football team “demonstrably preposterous.”
“If the Rams do eventually leave, it will not be for something the region failed to do. Or the fans,” St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay wrote.
- Drew Brees said of his current situation with the Saints: “I know my cap figure is high for 2016. I plan on playing in NOLA as long as I can. I don’t plan on playing for any other coach” (Kristian Garic)
- Regarding his foot injury, Brees said: “I need to get my foot some rest. In 4-6 weeks I should be fine.” (Kristian Garic)