The Miami Dolphins have already announced the hiring of Adam Gase as head coach.
- During his introductory press conference, it was announced that Gase will have final say over the Dolphins’ 53-man roster.
- Gase said he took the Dolphins’ job because of owner Stephen Ross.
- Ross said he believes Gase is the guy to bring the team multiple Super Bowls titles.
- Gase confirmed that he’ll call offense plays for the team.
— Miami Dolphins (@MiamiDolphins) January 9, 2016
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Dolphins have officially hired Bears OC Adam Gase as their next head coach.
- According to Armando Salguero, Gase was the Dolphins’ “unanimous” choice to be their head coach.
- The Dolphins have a press conference scheduled for 3pm EST to introduce Gase.
- Ian Rapoport reports that Gase is expected to target Bengals DBs coach Vance Joseph to be his defensive coordinator.
- Mark Dominik could see Gase hiring former Falcons HC Mike Smith as defensive coordinator.
- Jason La Canfora wonders if Bears QB Dowell Loggains and Joe Vitt could be targets for their offensive coordinator position.
All indications have been that Gase was the guy to watch for the Dolphins in the past few days. The two sides were reportedly still hammering out the details of his contract this morning, but the expectation was that it was going to get done.
It will be interesting to see what Gase is able to do with QB Ryan Tannehill, as his work with quarterbacks in the past such as Peyton Manning and Jay Cutler likely played a big role in the team’s decision to hire him as their next head coach.
Last year, many anticipated that Gase was likely to be a top head-coaching candidate. However, even after meeting with a number of teams, Gase wasn’t offered a head-coaching position and elected to join John Fox in Chicago.
It proved to be a pretty good move in the end, as he was once again a notable candidate for head-coaching job, but this time around, he was the most sought after option on the market.