New Browns HC Hue Jackson said that he doesn’t have plans to hire an offensive coordinator.
“Right now in my mind, I don’t really plan on having an offensive coordinator ‘cause I want to reserve that right to call plays,” Jackson said on a Sirius XM Radio appearance, via Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal.
“I think that’s something that’s gotten me this job. So if it’s something that you’re an expert at, I think you want to continue to work at that and keep that in your pocket so you can use it to help your team. Now if I get somebody I really trust who has that [expertise], then obviously I’m very willing to kind of give that away as we go, but it’s got to be somebody I really trust and admire.”
- Scott Reid reports that Chargers owner Dean Spanos spoke with San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer and also SD County Commissioner Ron Roberts on Thursday.
- However, the Chargers and Rams officials will meet Monday to begin negotiations about the Chargers playing in Inglewood, per Reid.
- Adam Caplan reports that the Eagles have spoken to Jim Schwartz in recent days.
- However, Caplan isn’t sure if it was related to their head-coaching vacancy or for a different position such as defensive coordinator.
- Peter Schrager reports that the Texans are closing in on a deal with former Giants Special Teams assistant Larry Izzo to be their new special teams coordinator.