- According to Adam Schefter, the 49ers believed they had four viable candidates for their head-coaching job including Chip Kelly, Mike Shanahan, Tom Coughlin and Anthony Lynn.
- Interestingly enough, they elected to go with the only one who didn’t have a Super Bowl title. Schefter mentions that the 49ers believe Kelly’s desire to get a ring was a key part of the final selection.
- Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Browns liked Lions DC Teryl Austin and Patriots DC Matt Patricia a lot, but felt it was more important to help bolster their offense by hiring Hue Jackson.
- Adam Schefter reports that there are some around the NFL who believe the Buccaneers tried to swing big and land big-name head coach during the week between them firing HC Lovie Smith and promoting OC Dirk Koetter.
- For what it’s worth, Tampa Bay previously tried to lure Nick Saban out of Alabama.
- Regarding the Eagles’ head-coaching search, Adam Schefter reports that Philadelphia wanted to be more patient during their search this time around after they really didn’t know Chip Kelly before hiring him.
- Schefter mentions that they were comfortable moving forward with Doug Pederson, who had an “ordinary” initial interview in Kansas City.
According to Adam Schefter, the Giants seriously entertained the idea of hiring former Falcons HC Mike Smith and keeping Ben McAdoo as their offensive coordinator. However, things changed after the Eagles expressed interest in McAdoo.
The Giants reportedly knew they could not risk losing him to a division rival and elevated him to the head-coaching job.
- Josina Anderson reports that the Giants are interviewing Mike Singletary for their LBs coach position.
- Alex Marvez reports that Packers assistant OL coach Mike Solari interviewed with the Giants on Wednesday. Marvez adds that Solari is a “strong candidate” to be hired.