Home / Cowboys / Jason Garrett Says No Decision Has Been Made Regarding Surgery For Tony Romo

Jason Garrett Says No Decision Has Been Made Regarding Surgery For Tony Romo

Update:

Cowboys HC Jason Garrett told reporters at the Senior Bowl on Tuesday that no decision has been made on whether QB Tony Romo will undergo surgery on his collarbone, despite previous reports.

Garrett was asked if there’s any reason to think Romo won’t return to 100% with or without surgery, to which he replied: “No, we don’t really have any concerns about that. We think it’s going to strengthen and that’s one of the things the doctors have talked about,” via USA Today.

“So, if he goes ahead and does (have surgery), it’s only because we think it’s going to help him stay healthy longer. But again, I think that’ll be an elective surgery if in fact he does that.

———-

ESPN’s Ed Werder is reporting that the Cowboys and QB Tony Romo are planning for him to undergo offseason surgery to have a plate inserted into his left collarbone to prevent future injuries.

  • Werder adds that the Cowboys expect Romo to miss 6-8 weeks while recovering from the surgery.

Romo was set to have a CT scan on his injured collarbone to determine how he’s healing from the season-ending injury.

It’s unlikely that surgery would have an impact on Romo’s availability for the start of the 2016 season, as there’s still ample time for him to heal.

Romo, 35, is in the third year of his seven-year, $119.5 million contract that included $55 million guaranteed.

He unfortunately sustained multiple fractures to his collarbone this season, and had been expected to be placed on injured reserve for a few weeks now.

In 2015, Romo threw for 884 yards while completing 68.6 percent of his passes to go along with five touchdowns and seven interceptions over the course of four games for the Cowboys.