Home / Redskins / Redskins In No Rush To Cut RGIII, Could Wait Until March 9

Redskins In No Rush To Cut RGIII, Could Wait Until March 9

Redskins GM Scot McCloughan told reporters at the Senior Bowl on Wednesday that they’re in no rush to release QB Robert Griffin III.

Instead, McCloughan mentioned that they have until March 9 to ultimately part ways with the former No. 2 overall pick.

“The thing that’s good about where we are right now is, we have until March 9,” McCloughan said, via the Washington Post. “That’s why I want to sit with the coaches – and not just the coordinators, position coaches; everybody – and get a feel for it, because [Griffin] is a good football player, he’s a really good person, and he’s under contract. And that’s where we are right now.”

It’s been no secret that the Redskins will end up releasing RGIII.

Despite picking up his fifth-year option last year, the Redskins elected keep him on their roster as their third string quarterback all season to prevent him from getting injured, which would active the injury guarantees in his contract.

There has been a lot of talk that the Cowboys could have interest in him once the Redskins finally part ways with him in the coming months.

Griffin, 25, was in the final year of his four-year, $21,119,098 rookie contract when Washington elected to pick up his fifth-year option worth $16.2 million last year.

According to OverTheCap.com, releasing RGIII from his contract will free up $16,155,000 in available cap space for the Redskins without creating any dead money.

In 2014, Griffin appeared in nine games and threw for 1,694 yards while completing 68.7 percent of his passes to go along with four touchdowns and six interceptions.

We’ll have more regarding RGIII being released and where he could end up as the news is available.