Home / Redskins / Redskins Expected To Move On From RB Alfred Morris

Redskins Expected To Move On From RB Alfred Morris

John Keim of ESPN reports that members of the Redskins’ organization do not expect impending free agent RB Alfred Morris to return in 2016.

The team is reportedly concerned about Morris’ recent production and inability to make plays on his own. Keim points to the fact that Morris averaged just 1.45 yards after contact and adds that there’s a belief within the team that the number of carries are starting to take a toll on him.

Keim did, however, speak with an NFL coach who felt that Morris could be a little undervalued and still have something to offer.

Redskins Bruce Allen told ESPN980 on Wednesday that if Morris gets a great contract in free agency, they’ll applaud him and likely move on.

Free agency is going to be a great test for him,” Allen said. “If he gets a great contract, we’re going to applaud him. If not, we’ll see what happens with us.

Morris has said previously that he’s hoping to re-sign with Washington and hopefully finish out his career with them.

“When I first came into the league, no matter what team I went to, I just wanted to do my whole career with the same team,” Morris said, via John Keim. “That’s still my goal. I would love to return, but a lot goes into that. I haven’t thought about that. You all keep bringing it up, but we’ll see what happens.”

Morris, 27, played out his four-year, $2,223,100 rookie contract with the Redskins and will be an unrestricted free agent in the coming months.

In 2015, Morris appeared in all 16 games for the Redskins and ran for 751 yards on 202 carries (3.7 YPC) to go along with 10 receptions for 55 yards receiving and a touchdown. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 52 running back out of 68 qualifying players.

We have him featured in our Top 100 – 2016 Free Agents list.