Bears impending free agent RB Matt Forte mentioned Thursday that he’s still yet to speak to the team regarding a potential return to Chicago.
“I haven’t been called yet so I guess they don’t know what they’re going to do yet,” Forte said, via Chicago Sun Times.
Forte added that he gets several comments on Twitter about re-signing with the Bears, but it’s clear that this decision will ultimately be up to the team.
“That’s all I get on Twitter — ‘Please don’t leave us,’” Forte said. “I’m like, ‘That’s not my decision. Tell the Bears that. They’re the ones that hold the cards, really.’”
Regarding what he’d look for in a new opportunity, Forte pointed to a number of factors other than his contract.
“The contract is only a small part of it,” said Forte. “You gotta consider the team — more specifically the quarterback that’s there. They have a good O-line? I also gotta consider the best place for my family to be.”
Forte previously mentioned that he wants to be back with the Bears, but admitted “there’s not much hope” for a new deal.
“I mean, I want to return,” Forte said, via the Associated Press. “But if you’re saying am I hopeful that I do return? There’s not much to hope for right now because like I’ve said, I talked to (general manager Ryan Pace) earlier and they haven’t said anything back.
“So there’s nothing really to hope for.”
Forte, 30, he has played out his four-year, $30.4 million contract that included $13.8 million guaranteed. He’s now in position to be one of the more notable running backs in this year’s free agent market.
In 2015, Forte has appeared in 13 games and ran for 898 yards on 218 carries (4.1 YPC) to go along with 44 receptions for 389 yards receiving and seven total touchdowns for the Bears. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 19 running back out of 68 qualifying players.
We have him featured in our Top 100 – 2016 Free Agents list.