The Browns have released a statement denying that they covered up Johnny Manziel showing up to practice drunk by putting him in the concussion protocol, per Mary Kay Cabot.
“Johnny Manziel was diagnosed with a concussion by an independent neurologist. He wasn’t cleared until Jan. 12. The fact that people are saying we lied about his concussion is false.”
- Mike Silver of NFL.com spoke to a Browns player who mentioned that Johnny Manziel actually showed up drunk at practice this season and the team tried to cover it up by saying he was in the NFL’s concussion protocol.
- Broncos president John Elway told reporters on Tuesday that “there’s no deadline” for Peyton Manning to decide on retirement. (Albert Breer)
- Elway added that he isn’t sure why Archie Manning said Peyton likely done in Denver. (Troy Renck)
- Elway said of impending free agent Von Miller: “The goal is always to get a long term deal.” (James Palmer)
- After hearing Panthers GM Dave Gettleman talk to reporters today, Jonathan Jones mentions that his early money is on them taking a defensive player at No. 30 overall.
- Gettleman said that he’ll use franchise tag if needed this offseason. (Joe Person)
- Gettleman doesn’t think they’re in bad shape in regards to their cap situation. (Joe Person)
- Impending free agent FB Mike Tolbert said he wants to return to Panthers next year, but added that there haven’t been any talks with the team yet. (Joe Person)
- Free agent WR Jerricho Cotchery also said he wants to re-sign with Carolina, but added that he doesn’t know what the future holds. (David Newton)