NFL teams have already begun the process of cutting players to free up some additional cap space for the offseason.
On Monday, the Falcons released veteran S William Moore. However, his agent, Andy Ross, tells D. Orlando of the Atlanta Journal Constitution that he has already been contacted by a few interested teams.
“It’s tough when a team decides to go in another direction,” Ross said. “I got a few calls last night from teams checking in on him. We’ll take our time and look for the best opportunity for him.”
The Titans elected to cut veteran S Michael Griffin loose earlier in the day, and he too has heard from some of his former coaches around the league since becoming available.
“I hope it doesn’t stop here,” Griffin told Pual Kuharsky of ESPN. “I mean I had a couple coaches already shoot me text messages and tell me to give them a call, people from different teams, former coaches of mine.”
Griffin, 31, was entering the final year of his five-year, $35 million contract that included $15 million guaranteed when the Titans released him in a move that created $6.5 million in available cap space.
In 2015, Griffin appeared in 15 games for the Titans and recorded 101 tackles, one sack, an interception, and three pass defenses. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 77 safety out of 88 qualifying players.
Moore, 30, was entering the fourth year of his five-year, $29.512 million contract and was in line to make a base salary of $4.5 million for the 2016 season.
In 2015, Moore appeared in 11 games and recording 51 tackles, two interceptions, a forced fumble and four pass defenses for the Falcons. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 54 safety out of 88 qualifying players.
We’ll have more regarding which teams could be options for either player as the news is available.