- Jeff Dickerson writes that it “would be an upset” if the Bears didn’t re-sign free agent TE Zach Miller this offseason.
- Although, Dickerson mentions that the Bears are likely only willing to offer him a two-year contract.
Broncos impending free agent Brock Osweiler said he’s hoping to remain in Denver for the foreseeable future.
“Every single guy on this team embraced me, and that is something I think they all know how thankful I am for that, but this is the best team in the world and we have a very special group in our locker room,” Osweiler said, via Nicki Jhabvala of the Denver Post.
Broncos quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp explained that Osweiler sitting for most of his rookie contract may have been a big benefit to him.
“I wish every quarterback in the league could have a chance to learn before being put to the fire test,” Knapp said. “It is not just the game itself to learn about, but how you manage the team as a quarterback. How do you handle the tough questions after a tough loss, how do you look in the locker room after a Monday or a Tuesday after a tough loss to your teammates. That’s such a valuable tool because a young quarterback, say he’s a rookie high draft pick, has to play and they have a tough loss, he’s got no experience to pull from. He has no knowledge on how to manage that situation.”
- Joel Corry reports that Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas‘ $8.5 million 2017 base salary became fully guaranteed without any offsets on Friday.
- Alex Marvez reports that the Lions are hiring former Broncos offensive assistant Brian Callahan as their new QBs coach.
- Alex Marvez reports that Panthers are interviewing Kevin O’Dea and Thomas McGaughey for a special teams coaching position.
- Joe Person reports that the Panthers have let go of special teams coach Russ Purnell.
- According to Person, the Panther want to interview former LB Chase Blackburn for their assistant special teams position.