Baylor forward Rico Gathers is planning to make the transition from basketball to the NFL.
“Football has been in my heart,” Gathers told ESPN on Friday.
Gathers is expected to work out for teams as a tight end.
“During my free time, I work on my routes all the time,” Gathers said. “I have my own football, my own cleats, I run 40s all the time. I think I’m ready.”
- Ole Miss DL Robert Nkemdiche said he’s met formally with the Redskins. (Chase Goodbread)
- EKU DE/OLB Noah Spence said he’s met with the Giants, Chiefs, Redskins and Ravens. (Aaron Wilson)
- USC’s Su’a Cravens said that teams have been split in regards to viewing him as either a linebacker and safety. (Dane Brugler)
- Rob Demovsky mentions that Ohio State TE Nick Vannett could be a prospect to keep an eye on for the Packers, given that he could be the best combination of blocking and catching of the tight end prospects.
- ESPN’s Louis Riddick suggests Clemson DE Shaq Lawson as a player who could be a good fit for the Falcons.
- Lawson told reporters that he’s met with the Falcons, Browns, Seahawks and Cardinals thus far and will meet with the Bills. (Chase Goodbread, Aaron Wilson)
- Bengals DC Paul Guenther said of their impending free agents: “Hue [Jackson] wants them all up in Cleveland.” (Geoff Hobson)
- Regarding the Browns QB draft options in this year’s draft, Tony Grossi said: “[Jared] Goff is the top guy, but analytics push favors [Carson] Wentz.” (Sirius XM NFL)
The Panthers announced a number of coaching changes on Friday including:
- John Matsko: promoted to running game coordinator
- Ray Brown: promoted to offensive line coach
- Richard Rodgers: safeties coach
- Curtis Fuller: nickel backs
- Thomas McGaughey: special teams assistant