The University of Illinois officially announced the hiring of Lovie Smith as their new head coach.
“I am extremely excited to be named head coach of the Fighting Illini,” Smith said. “Josh approached me about this possibility, and I immediately seized on the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of the young men who are part of the program today and in the future. I take this responsibility very seriously and can’t wait to get a staff in place to start our move to make Illinois a contender for Big Ten titles. We will play an exciting brand of football that will make our fans, alumni, student body and members of the University community extremely proud.”
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Buccaneers owed Smith $10 million over the next 2 seasons.
- However, Illinois will pay Smith $2 million in 2016 and 2017 and $21 million over the course of six years.
- This means Tampa Bay will save $4 million in total due to offsets included in his contract.
“My last conversation with him was just that,” Roseman said. “That he wants to be here and this is the place he wants to have a tremendous amount of success like he had in Dallas.”
- According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN, “word is” Packers OLB Julius Peppers has been trying to recruit free agent RB Matt Forte to come to Green Bay.
- Jeff Zrebiec mentions that with the money Ravens OL Kelechi Osemele is going to get on open market, it’s “highly unlikely” he’ll be back in Baltimore next year.
- Zrebiec adds that the Ravens would love to keep him and have made him a big offer, but with their cap situation, they can’t afford to pay him $10 million per year.
- According to Rich Tandler of CSN Mid-Atlantic, “there is some buzz” regarding a possible contract extension for WR Pierre Garcon.