Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith acknowledged to Tom Pelissero of USA Today that he’s likely to miss his entire rookie season due to the serious knee injury he sustained.
“When you’re in bed for six weeks, not able to move, not able to walk, you’re this dominant force, but yet you have to rely on people to do little things for you,” Smith told. “…It even makes you appreciate the little things, and being back out on the field – it’s so awesome. Not a lot of people know exactly what I’m doing right now. But I’m killing it.”
Recent reports said that Smith was still dealing with “foot-drop” in his injured knee, but his surgeon, Dr. Dan Cooper, says this of the injury: “[I’m] optimistic that his knee itself will be stable and a good knee and he’ll get all his strength back. And I also think he has a very good chance of getting his nerve recovery back.”
This is an positive take on what’s clearly a serious injury. However, Cooper adds that even if Smith’s nerve damage doesn’t get better, there are other options to consider.
“Worst-case scenario, there are surgeries, there are tendon transfers you can do to hold the foot up,” Cooper said. “Best-case scenario is he gets all his strength back. And then in between would be that he gets a lot of it back or some of it back.”
- Tony Pauline reports that some around the league believe Alabama LB Reggie Ragland could be a target for the Dolphins at No. 13 overall.
- However, Pauline hears that the Redskins at No. 21 and the Packers at No. 27 overall are two more realistically options for Ragland.
- The Browns are reportedly considering Michigan State OT Jack Conklin with their No. 8 overall pick, according to Tony Pauline.
- Pauline adds that Cleveland desperately needs a right tackle, and Conklin happens to be a prospect they’ve met “extensively” with at his Pro Day.
- Tony Pauline continues to hear that Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell is in the mix for the Giants at No. 10 overall.
- Pauline tosses out a speculative idea of the Giants trading back and taking Treadwell in the middle of round one.
- A potential trade partner could be the Titans, who are reportedly looking to trade up for an offensive tackle like MSU’s Jack Conklin.
- According to Tony Pauline, the Jets have been “poking around” on linebackers in Reggie Ragland of Alabama and Kamalei Correa from Boise State in recent days.
- Pauline mentions that Correa is a perfect fits for the Jets’ pass-rushing needs.
- Pauline believes the No. 20 pick is likely the starting point for teams considering Correa.
- As for Ragland, Pauline refers to him as more of a “luxury pick” for the Jets, but he would also give them a future replacement for David Harris.