ESPN analyst Jon Gruden considers Michigan State QB Connor Cook to be the best quarterback prospect in this year’s class.
“He’s gonna be I think perhaps the best quarterback in this year’s draft,” Gruden said, via the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Gruden believes Cook’s body of work is as good as anyone’s in this year’s draft class.
“I’m a big believer in body of work, and Connor Cook’s body of work at the college level is as good as anyone in this draft and in many drafts that I’ve seen in recent years,” Gruden said. “He’s 34-5. He beat five top 10 teams. He’s the all-time leading passer at Michigan State.’
“I like the degree of difficulty he thrives under,’‘ Gruden added. “He brought his team back to win six times. … He’s the MVP of the Rose Bowl. I saw what he did in the Cotton Bowl, and he played through some injuries this year, helping Michigan State once again to another Big Ten championship. He’s 6-foot-4, over 220 pounds. I really like him at the top of this draft, given all the other prospects that I’ve studied.”
Peter King hears that the Giants believe UCLA LB Myles Jack’s knee is okay. King adds that some teams think Jack may require microfracture surgery at some point.
An NFL personnel executive predicted that Jack will fall out of the top-ten picks.
“(Jack) is going to drop,” said the executive, via Mark Eckel of NJ.com. “Teams are scared off by his knee. He’s not going in the top 10.”
- Meanwhile, Jason Cole of B/R reports that Jack’s draft stock appears to be up in the air.
- According to Cole, Jack has been cleared by Dr. James Andrews, who preformed the surgery on his knee. However, Jack’s agent John Thornton refuted the report that Jack may need microfracture surgery at some point.
- Cole expects Jack to go anywhere from No. 5-15 overall on Thursday.
- Darren Wolfson reports that the Dolphins and Jets are among the teams that are showing interest in Minnesota CB Briean Boddy-Calhoun.
- Peter King of TheMMQB.com mentions that there has been “lots of buzz” about Browns HC Hue Jackson liking Memphis QB Paxton Lynch and even advocating for him.
- Even so, King doesn’t rule out a potential trade back for the Browns and considering someone like LB Myles Jack or CB Eli Apple later on in round one.
- If the Browns stay at No. 8 and don’t select Lynch, King believes Notre Dame OT Ronnie Stanley would make sense for them, given that he could provide them a long-term replacement to Joe Thomas.