NFL Notes: Browns, Cowboys, Rams
- Dan Labbe of Cleveland.com writes that the Browns may not need former first-round WR Corey Coleman to be a true No. 1 receiver this year, depending on the play of veteran Kenny Britt. Although, they’ll likely still need Coleman to be at least their No. 2 option.
- Labbe mentions that the pressure should be off of Carl Nassib this year now that they’ve added Myles Garrett and will have Emmanuel Ogbah playing opposite of him. Nassib can instead look forward to be used in certain situations and focusing on continuing to develop.
- The Browns have Shon Coleman competing with Cameron Erving for the right tackle job this summer, and it appears as though Coleman is the frontrunner for the job right now, according to Labbe.
- Labbe says that snaps will likely be hard to come by for Joe Schobert this year and his best opportunity for playing time may come as a special teams player.
- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk has been told that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones made it clear to the powers-that-be a year ago that he won’t be as gracious and compliant as Patriots owner Robert Kraft if the league decides to suspend one of the team’s star players for something he feels is bogus.
- This comes after the recent report that Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott could face a short suspension of between one or two games. (NFLTR)
- Florio mentions that the league will need to balance between placating Jones, who now has more power in the NFL than ever before, and being cognizant of the potential P.R. consequences that could come from not disciplining Elliott.
- According to Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times, Rams TE Tyler Higbee pled guilty to second-degree assault in connection with an incident that left a man hospitalized back in 2016.
- As part of the agreement, Higbee agreed to be placed in a diversion program and reached a confidential restitution agreement with the victim.
- In total, Higbee will be on diversion for five years and must perform 250 hours of community service.
Tags Cameron Erving Carl Nassib Corey Coleman Emmanuel Ogbah Ezekiel Elliott Jerry Jones Joe Schobert Kenny Britt Myles Garrett Shon Coleman Tyler Higbee