“The ceiling is unlimited for him,” Gates said, via Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune. “Whether or not he gets there all depends on the ability to process things — on the ability to work hard and to make these sacrifices that he needs to make in the classroom and on the field. And, he’s been doing a great job at that so far.”
- Jane Slater reports that Cowboys DE Tyrone Crawford will spend next few days in a walking boot to support right ankle post lateral sprain.
- Cowboys LB Sean Lee left Thursday’s practice with a hamstring strain, but it’s not believed to be serious. Even so, Dallas plans to be cautious with how they handle Lee and his injury moving forward.
- According to Todd Archer, Cowboys rookie CB Chidobe Awuzie appeared to tweak an ankle.
- The Cowboys are awaiting the MRI results on the sprained foot WR Brice Butler suffered on Wednesday. (Todd Archer)
- Raiders G Jon Feliciano officially passed a physical on Thursday and has been removed from the team’s PUP list.
Texans HC Bill O’Brien mentioned that first-round QB Deshaun Watson has a lot to build on after an encouraging preseason performance on Wednesday.
“There’s a lot to build on,” O’Brien said, via HoustonTexans.com. “There’s a lot to correct. He knows that. He was about 50-50 on some of the schemes we run, right or wrong. He was right 50 percent of the time and wrong 50 percent of the time. That’s to be expected with a rookie. I think his overall poise and demeanor and the way he sees the game is pretty impressive to me and it’s the same for Tom [Savage]”