49ers HC Jim Harbaugh told reporters on Friday that he expects OLB Aldon Smith to play against the Colts on Sunday, despite his arrest Friday morning, per Matt Barrows.
- Harbaugh initially mentioned that no decision had been made regarding Smith’s Week 3 status, but later added he expects him to play.
Smith was surprisingly allowed to practice on Friday. He reportedly blew .15 earlier this morning, so there’s at least some question as to whether he was even in good enough shape to participate.
We’ll have more regarding his status and possible fines/suspensions from the league.
- Smith’s status for Sunday’s game against the Indianapolis Colts remains in question.
- Aldon Smith reportedly blew a .15 in his DUI arrest, has prescription for the marijuana and crashed into a tree. (Mercury News)
- Smith’s neighbor said that his foot was still on the accelerator of his SUV when police arrived, despite being up against a tree. This reportedly caused the car tires to smoke. (Matt Barrows)
- Smith was booked into SCC Main Jail today on charges of DUI and possession of marijuana. (Santa Clara County Sheriff)
Here’s a statement provided by the 49ers:
“The 49ers organization is aware of the matter involving Aldon Smith,” the 49ers said in a statement. “As we continue to gather information regarding this situation, we will have no further comment.”
- Mike Garafolo reports that Smith took a breathalyzer test that tested over the limit.
Smith has reportedly been identified as the driver of the vehicle involved in a single-car wreck. It’s believed that no one was injured in the crash.
Smith was arrested for a previous DUI in Miami Beach, but the charges were later reduced.
We’ll have to see if this impacts his status for Sunday or if a suspension could at some point be handed down by the NFL.