Dolphins OC Dowell Loggains explained that Gesicki is unique and they plan to take things slow when it comes to determining his role in their offense.
“Mike is a little bit unique,” Loggains said. “Durham [Smythe, the Dolphins’ other rookie tight end] is a ‘Y’ and Mike G is more of a … We’ve got to find out exactly what he can and can’t do and what he can and can’t handle early. As the season goes and the offseason goes and training camp, his package will expand and his routes will expand as we found out what he can and can’t do.”
- Darryl Slater of NJ.com writes that it’s hard to imagine the Jets getting a second-round pick in return for QB Teddy Bridgewater should they elect to trade him in the coming months.
- Bridgewater is, of course, under contract for one year and there are still going to be questions about how his knee will hold up after a serious injury a few years ago. All of this will impact the kind of return the Jets could get in a trade for Bridgewater.
- Slater mentions possible a third- or fourth-round pick as a reasonable return for Bridgewater.
- Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski tells Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald that the trade rumors that surfaced Friday were “fake news.”
- One report said that the Patriots actually had deals in place with the 49ers and Titans, but owner Robert Kraft ultimately nixed the deal after Tom Brady threatened to retire. (NFLTR)
- It’s worth mentioning that multiple reports have refuted this report and Patriots VP of media relations Stacey James issued the following statement: “I would say with the utmost confidence that none of that is true. None of it.”
- As for minicamp, Gronkowski said: “I felt good, it went well. Minicamp went great.”