- Jim Owczarski of Cincinnati.com takes a look at some defensive coordinator candidates to watch for the Bengals.
- Owczarski’s list includes interior candidates Kevin Coyle and Jim Haslett along with external options such as Lions DC Teryl Austin, former Browns HC Mike Pettine, former Raiders HC Jack Del Rio, Saints LBs coach Mike Nolan, Giants interim HC Steve Spagnuolo, former Giants DC Perry Fewell and Chargers DC Gus Bradley.
- According to Mike Klis, one name to watch for the Broncos’ WRs coach job is Klint Kubiak.
- The Broncos signed WR River Cracraft to a futures deal on Friday, but it was disapproved by the NFL.
Former Raiders QB Rich Gannon explained the demands that come with having Jon Gruden as your head coach and what could be in store for Derek Carr during an interview with KGMZ-FM 95.7 The Game on Thursday.
“He has no idea what’s in store for him, just in terms of the level of preparation, attention to detail,” Gannon said, via ESPN.com. “He’s going to be as prepared as any quarterback could possibly be to go out and really play championship-caliber football. But he has to do it.
“If [Carr] doesn’t want to come in and spend eight hours on Tuesday, his day off, then you can’t make him. If he’s not a guy that’s going to come in and grind away on Monday nights, or stay late on Friday, then you get what you get. You’re going to get out of it what you put into it. I always say that those that invest the most are the last to surrender. We’re going to find out how tough this guy is, and how hard he’s willing to work to really take his game to the next level, but more importantly, to take the Raiders to the next level.”
Gannon added that you can’t have a thin skin and survive with Gruden as your head coach.
“He has to be willing to be criticized,” Gannon said. “You can’t have thin skin when you work with Jon Gruden. He’s not interested in you being good; he wants you to be great.
“I’d be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and I’d have at least one Super Bowl, maybe more, if Jon never left Oakland. I embraced the opportunity. I took advantage of the opportunity. I hope Derek will do the same.”
- Jason La Canfora points out that Raiders player personnel director Joey Clinkscales has “strong ties” to Gruden through the University of Tennessee.
- Aaron Wilson reports that the Raiders worked out NT Roderick Henderson on Friday.
- Jeff Zrebiec mentions that it’s “pretty clear” based on Ravens HC John Harbaugh’s comments about their defensive coordinator position that Chuck Pagano and current LBs coach Don “Wink” Martindale are top the team’s list of candidates.
- Zrebiec adds that Steve Spagnuolo and Ted Monachino could also get consideration for the job.
- The Ravens announced Friday that they’ve hired James Urban as their quarterbacks coach.