Update: A.J. McCarron officially won his grievance against the Bengals and will now be an unrestricted free agent. (NFLTR)
- Katherine Terrell reports that while there was expected to be a ruling regarding Bengals QB A.J. McCarron‘s free agent status on Thursday, it’s possible no ruling is made until later.
- Dan Graziano hears that a McCarron decision could be delayed beyond today for personal reasons on the part of the arbitrator.
New Browns OC Todd Haley said he believes that there are “pieces in place” for Cleveland to be successful next season.
“I had some options, but this really appealed to me,” Haley said, via Pat McManamon of ESPN. “The challenge aspect of it. Hue, like I said, [owners Jimmy and Dee] Haslam and [GM] John [Dorsey]. I think there’s pieces in place to be successful.”
Despite how things ended with the Steelers, Haley says he feels pleased with how he did in his six-years in Pittsburgh.
“Did a lot of really good things,” Haley said. “We developed arguably the best receiver in the league (Antonio Brown). Developed arguably the best back in the league (Le’Veon Bell). Developed one of the top quarterbacks in the league (Ben Roethlisberger). Consistently did a lot of good things, scored a lot of points.”
Steelers GM Kevin Colbert told reporters on Thursday that LB Ryan Shazier is in the building nearly every day working out and spending time with the coaches and personnel staff.
“Ryan does as much for us as we do for him because the way he works at this and the attitude that he’s shown in his rehabilitation is really uplifting. Never once has he said ‘why me’ and I know that’s an uplifting gesture for us and those who deal with him because he shows us that everybody has problems but he is going to work to overcome his as we should ours,” Colbert said, per Mark Kaboly.
- Colbert added that they haven’t ruled out signing a veteran free agent inside linebacker. (Mark Kaboly)
- Colbert also said that Tyler Matakevich will be a big factor at that spot.
- Ian Rapoport mentioned that Titans RB DeMarco Murray is a potential cut since he is expected to be the No. 2 back next season and is due $6 million.