Home / Bengals / AFC Notes: Bengals, Colts, Jaguars, & Jets
AFC Notes: Bengals, Colts, Jaguars, & Jets
- Coley Harvey of ESPN believes that if the Bengals can remain healthy, they have the potential to exceed their 2013 offense that ranked No. 10 overall.
- According to Harvey, coaches and trainers have taken it “easy” on second-year WR James Wright during offseason activities to avoid aggravating any injuries.
- Harvey expects the seventh-round rookie WR Mario Alford to be the No. 5 receiver behind A.J. Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, and Wright.
- Harvey projects the starting defense to look as follows: DE Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap; DT Domata Peko, Geno Atkins; LB Emmanuel Lamur, Rey Maualuga, Vincent Rey; CB Adam Jones, Dre Kirkpatrick; S George Iloka, Reggie Nelson. Leon Hall and Darqueze Dennard would rotate at nickel corner, and A.J. Hawk could rotate as a “Will” linebacker.
- Mike DiRocco of ESPN expects WR Allen Hurns to be the No. 3 receiver, though he could easily jump to No. 2 if Marqise Lee continues to have injury problems.
- DiRocco can see OT Luke Joeckel and WR Ace Sanders having breakout seasons in 2015.
- After speaking to him, DiRocco gets the sense that CB Dwayne Gratz could be at a “crossroads” with the Jaguars.
- The Jaguars want to be careful with DT Roy Miller, due to surgery he had this offseason to repair a torn meniscus, which could result in DT Abry Jones having an increased role in the defense.
- In fact, DL coach Todd Wash said he has “liked what he saw” from Jones during offseason activities.
- DiRocco expects WR Allen Robinson and TE Julius Thomas to be heavy red zone targets in 2015.
- DiRocco views 2015 as a vital season for SS Johnathan Cyprien, due to the lack of impact he has supplied so far in his career.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN believes fourth-round rookie QB Bryce Petty has the arm talent to make “all the throws“, but is still unsure of the rest of his intangibles.
- Cimini writes that Petty is part of the “post-Geno” plan, should QB Geno Smith struggle mightily this season.
- WR Jeremy Kerley is the “favorite” to assume punt return duties, while WR Saalim Hakim, WR T.J. Graham and WR Chris Owusu are “in the mix” to be the kick return specialist.
- Cimini can see second-round WR Devin Smith being used as a slot receiver in three wide receiver packages.
- Cimini expects the Jets to keep four running backs on the depth chart, with three appearing on game days.
Tags A.J. Green A.J. Hawk Abry Jones Ace Sanders Adam Jones Allen Hurns Allen Robinson Bryce Petty Carlos Dunlap Chris Owusu Darqueze Dennard Devin Smith Domata Peko Donald Thomas Dre Kirkpatrick Dwayne Gratz Emmanuel Lamur Geno Atkins Geno Smith George Iloka Henry Anderson Jack Mewhort James Wright Jeremy Kerley Johnathan Cyprien Julius Thomas Kendall Langford Leon Hall Luke Joeckel Mario Alford Marqise Lee Marvin Jones Michael Johnson Mohamed Sanu Reggie Nelson Rey Maualuga Roy Miller Saalim Hakim T.J. Carrie T.J. Graham Todd Wash Vincent Rey