Home Bills AFC Notes: Bills, Colts, Jets, Patriots
- The Indianapolis Colts officially ruled out QB Andrew Luck (right shoulder), CB Rashaan Melvin (concussion) and OLB John Simon (stinger) for Week 8’s game against the Bengals.
- Colts HC Chuck Pagano admitted that he doesn’t know if Luck will return to practice next week. (Kevin Bowen)
- Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald writes that of the Patriots’ 14 unrestricted free agents, backup QB Jimmy Garoppolo is the most obvious candidate for the franchise tag.
- Howe can’t see Garoppolo being willing to sign an extension with the Patriots to return as Brady’s backup, which means it’s possible New England could watch him depart and recoup a 2019 third-round compensatory pick for him.
- However, Howe heard a month ago that CB Malcolm Butler could also be a candidate for the franchise tag.
- According to Howe, there’s mutual interest between Butler and the Patriots, but contract talks won’t pick up until the offseason.
- Howe can see the Patriots and LT Nate Solder working out an extension if he plans on continuing his NFL career.
- Assuming the Patriots want WR Danny Amendola back next year, Howe can’t see him leaving.
- As for a free agent who could depart in free agency, Howe wouldn’t be surprised to see the Patriots allow RB Dion Lewis to walk.