Home / Bills / AFC Notes: Bills, Colts, Jets, Patriots
AFC Notes: Bills, Colts, Jets, Patriots
- The Indianapolis Colts officially ruled out QB Andrew Luck (right shoulder), CB Rashaan Melvin (concussion) and OLB John Simon (stinger) for Week 8’s game against the Bengals.
- Colts HC Chuck Pagano admitted that he doesn’t know if Luck will return to practice next week. (Kevin Bowen)
- Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald writes that of the Patriots’ 14 unrestricted free agents, backup QB Jimmy Garoppolo is the most obvious candidate for the franchise tag.
- Howe can’t see Garoppolo being willing to sign an extension with the Patriots to return as Brady’s backup, which means it’s possible New England could watch him depart and recoup a 2019 third-round compensatory pick for him.
- However, Howe heard a month ago that CB Malcolm Butler could also be a candidate for the franchise tag.
- According to Howe, there’s mutual interest between Butler and the Patriots, but contract talks won’t pick up until the offseason.
- Howe can see the Patriots and LT Nate Solder working out an extension if he plans on continuing his NFL career.
- Assuming the Patriots want WR Danny Amendola back next year, Howe can’t see him leaving.
- As for a free agent who could depart in free agency, Howe wouldn’t be surprised to see the Patriots allow RB Dion Lewis to walk.
Tags Andrew Luck Brandon Shell Buster Skrine charles clay Chuck Pagano E.J. Gaines Jimmy Garoppolo John Simon Jordan Leggett Jordan Poyer Malcolm Butler Muhammad Wilkerson Nate Solder Ramon Humber Rashaan Melvin