Home Bills AFC Notes: Bills, Ravens, Steelers, Titans
- Bills GM Brandon Beane said of new QB A.J. McCarron: “We took it slow. I know everybody was jumping on guys quick. I went with the more methodical, ‘Let’s make the right decision. Let’s not get into chase mode.’” (Mike Rodak)
- Beane said he spoke to Browns HC Hue Jackson and other coaches about McCarron.
- According to Beane, McCarron isn’t a “bridge” option for them: “I don’t look at AJ as a bridge. Bridge isn’t in my vocabulary. This is a chance for AJ to come in and compete. Nothing is being given for any position.” (Mike Rodak)
- Regarding their draft plans, Beane said: “Everybody assumes we’re going higher [in the draft]. I don’t know that.” (Mike Rodak)
- Beane said that the situation involving C Eric Wood is still “on my back burner right now” and there no timetable for making a move with him. (Mike Rodak)
- Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome told reporters on Friday that they are “still heavily involved in free agency and improving our football team.” (Jeff Zrebiec)
- Regarding the failed physical that led to the Ravens backing out of their four-year, $29 million deal with WR Ryan Grant, Newsome explained: “I did not get the results of Ryan’s physical until about 4 o clock yesterday.” (Jeff Zrebiec)
- Newsome said they consulted with many doctors around the country about Grant’s ankle: “It’s not a football decision. It’s a medical decision that I had no control over.“
- According to Newsome, they would have still pursued WR Michael Crabtree, even if their deal with Grant went through. (Jeff Zrebiec)
- Newsome mentioned that they still have enough cap space to sign two or three more quality football players. (Jeff Zrebiec)
- One position to watch for the Ravens, according to Newsome, is at tight end: “That could also be a position that we will add to our roster if possible.” (Jeff Zrebiec)
- Paul Kuharsky points out that one situation involving the Titans to watch in the coming days is whether Tennessee makes a move involving DT Sylvester Williams before his 2018 base salary of $5 million becomes fully guaranteed on Sunday.