Nicki Jhabvala of the Denver Post explores the Broncos’ cap situation as they prepare to enter the offseason and some moves that could be coming.
- As of now, Denver is in a position where they’re allocating $31 million to three cornerbacks, which means it’s possible they could move on from one of them with Aqib Talib being the guy to watch, according to recent reports.
- Jhabvala writes it the Broncos could make WR Emmanuel Sanders available for trade in the coming months.
- According to Jhabavala, it seems likely Denver will place second-round tenders on C Matt Paradis and OLB Shaquil Barrett, which would them $2.916 million each.
- Eric D. Williams of ESPN writes that the Chargers “should consider” re-signing CB Casey Hayward to a contract extension, given that he is entering the final year of his three-year deal.
- As for other cornerbacks on the roster bubble, Williams mentions that Craig Mager, Jeff Richards, and A.J. Hendy as players to watch this offseason.
- Regarding possible targets for the Chargers in the 2018 NFL Draft, Williams says that the team “could be eyeing” a playmaking safety at the top of their draft board if they are unable to re-sign S Tre Boston.
- Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald mentions that one avenue for the Patriots to create some cap room would be to sign QB Tom Brady to an extension, which would open around $2 million.
- Patriots RB Dion Lewis reportedly plans to test the free agent market, barring a three-year offer that includes $10 million guaranteed from New England. Howe says, “the early vibe is that he’ll be playing elsewhere.“
- Howe doesn’t expect RB Rex Burkhead, WR Danny Amendola, WR Matthew Slater, or S Nate Ebner to break the back in free agency and thinks they could return to New England on deals worth $2-$3 million.
- As for some extension candidates, Howe DE Trey Flowers, WR Brandin Cooks, G Shaq Mason, and DT Malcom Brown could all open talks in the coming months.
- Howe lists Carlos Hyde, Jerick McKinnon, Darren Sproles, Jarvis Landry, Jimmy Graham, Trey Burton, Tyler Eifert, Adrian Clayborn, Trent Murphy, Dontari Poe, Zach Brown, Nigel Bradham and Paul Worrilow as possible targets for the Patriots.
- We a number of these players featured in our Top 100 – 2018 NFL Free Agents list.