- Vic Lombardi of Altitude Sports Network mentioned during an appearance on Pro Football Talk Live Wednesday that the Broncos would have interest in Bengals QB A.J. McCarron if he ends up becoming an unrestricted free agent once his grievance is settled this week.
- Should McCarron lose his case against the Bengals, he would be a restricted free agent and Cincinnati would likely use a second-round tender on him, which would all but ensure he would return for the 2018 season.
Ralph Vacchiano of SNY.comi takes a look at the Jets’ impending free agents and how the team may handle their contract situations this offseason.
- Regarding veteran QB Josh McCown, Vacchiano views him as a “stop-gap solution” and possible mentor to a future rookie quarterback.
- Vacchiano writes that CB Morris Claiborne “wants to stay” with the Jets, while the team would re-sign him “for the right price,” while DE Kony Ealy is another player whose price will dictate whether he returns.
- Vacchiano believes that LB Demario Davis and C Wesley Johnson could get more money on the open market than what the Jets could offer them.
- As for Jets TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Vacchiano writes that “chances are” the two sides work out a contract to keep him in New York.
- Vacchiano names C Jonatthon Harrison, OL Dakota Dozier, LB David Bass, LB Julian Stanford, S Terrence Brooks, TE Chris Gragg, and DT Ed Stinson as bargain level options for the Jets, while LB Bruce Carter would likely move on if he does not sign a minimum deal.
- With the team likely to cut DE Muhammad Wilkerson, Vacchiano views DT Mike Pennel as a young and versatile defensive lineman who could be useful for the team.
- Jeremy Fowler of ESPN writes that TE Vance McDonald‘s $4.3-million cap hit isn’t ideal for the Steelers, who happen to be tight on cap space right now.
- However, Fowler mentions that McDonald and QB Ben Roethlisberger may have found something late last season after they connected on 18 catches for 216 yards in the team’s final three games.
- With this in mind, Fowler thinks Big Ben would like to have McDonald back for the 2018 season.