Broncos DE Shane Ray said he has a potential timeline of 2-3 months following a bone fusion procedure in his wrist. According to Ray, it still possible he could be ready for Week 1 of the regular season.
“But I think, because it’s bone and not like repairing ligaments, I’ll be able to heal a lot faster and try and be ready for Game 1,” said Ray, via Ryan O’Halloran of the Denver Post.
- Broncos HC Vance Joseph said Wednesday that second-year WR Carlos Henderson is fighting for a roster spot this summer: “He’s got to get back on the field if he wants to make this team.” (Mike Klis)
- According to Vic Tafur, the Raiders “gave all the kicks” to undrafted rookie K Eddy Pineiro at Tuesday’s practice instead of last year’s starter K Giorgio Tavecchio. Tafur adds that Raiders HC Jon Gruden “loves” Pineiro and nearly drafted him.
- Regarding Raiders second-year S Obi Melifonwu, Tafur writes that the safety is “moving a lot better” after dealing with a hip injury last season.
- Raiders CB Gareon Conley said he feels fully recovered from a lingering shin injury: “I feel like I’m back.” (Scott Bair)
- Gruden mentioned the team’s competition for the backup quarterback role behind Derek Carr is “wide open” right now: “Right now, it’s Derek Carr, and it’s wide open for that.” (Michael Gehlken)
- Although Gruden said Connor Cook has impressed him, the quarterback still has “rough edges” where he must improve: “He’s moving up…but there are some rough edges he can improve.” (Scott Bair)
- Gruden also said that third-year S Erik Harris has been “rising to the top” in spring practices: “This kid is really rising to the top right now.” (Michael Gehlken)
- Regarding Raiders DE Khalil Mack‘s contract situation, Gruden declined to say whether the team would fine Mack for missing mandatory minicamp, but that he hopes to get a deal done soon. (Michael Gehlken)
“I’m going to compete and give it my best shot,” Reid said Tuesday. “We’re going to put the chips on the table, and where they fall, they fall.
“The preseason’s still a long way away. We still have to go to The Greenbrier (for camp), and when the preseason games come, we’ll have a competitive room. And, the man (starter) that comes out, we’re all going to be supportive.
“We’re a group. We’re a unit, and the guy who comes out on top is going to be the guy who plays.”
- Texans HC Bill O’Brien said that third-round DT Martinas Rankin underwent foot surgery after sustaining an injury during rookie minicamp: “He’s doing well. He’s a smart guy. I think he’s picked up the things we’ve taught him. He’s picked them up well and I think he has a good future here. We’ll see how it goes.” (Aaron Wilson)
- Texans RB/KR Tyler Ervin (torn patellar tendon, Injured reserve) has been medically cleared for training camp. (Aaron Wilson)