Browns new GM John Dorsey took a shot at the team’s prior front office regime for what he says was an inability to find “real players.”
“You know what? You’ve got to get a guy like that (Hue Jackson) players,” Dorsey said during an appearance on WKNR 850, via the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “And you know what? I’ll come straight out with it. The guys who were here before, that system, they didn’t get real players.”
The Browns elected to fire Sashi Brown last week and reached an agreement with Dorsey just 11 hours later.
Dorsey said he plans to find “Hue (Jackson) players,” implying that he’s in sync with Jackson in terms of how the team will be built moving forward.
“As Bill Parcells would always say, ‘you are your record’ and you know what? There it is, so that’s the truth-teller in this thing,’‘ said Dorsey. “And I’m going to do my darnedest to get Hue (Jackson) players.
“And that’s all I can ask for, and that’s all I’m going to do. I like the man.”
However, Dorsey wouldn’t go as far to guarantee that Jackson will be back in 2018.
“I live in the present and I build for the future,’‘ Dorsey said. “Right now the sun’s out, the tarps are coming out, we’re practicing outside, we’re getting ready to play the Baltimore Ravens and that’s my sole focus. And then it’s also getting familiar with the whole layout and the organizational structure.”
- Jets WR Jeremy Kerley said he “wasn’t sure” how a banned substance got into his system, which led to his four-game suspension. (Andy Vasquez)
- According to Rich Cimini of ESPN, Jets HC Todd Bowles will make a decision “pretty soon” about Kerley, who is now eligible to return from suspension.
- According to Mike Garafolo, “other teams” have been showing interest in Raiders’ practice squad DE Fadol Brown.
- Texans HC Bill O’Brien said QB T.J. Yates will start Week 15 and does not expect QB Tom Savage (concussion) to play. (Mark Berman)
- O’Brien added that QB Taylor Heinicke could be promoted from the practice squad to serve as the team’s primary backup.
- Regarding Savage, O’Brien said that he hasn’t ruled out the quarterback of Week 16’s Monday night Christmas game: “There’s always a chance for those things, yeah.” (Aaron Wilson)