- Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal writes that Josh McCown is “a virtual lock” to open the season as the Browns’ starting quarterback.
- According to Ulrich, Browns HC Mike Pettine and GM Ray Farmer “gushed” over McCown during a Browns Fan Fest this past weekend.
- Ulrich adds that “there hasn’t been even a hint of a competition” between McCown and backup Johnny Manziel in spring practices.
- According to CBS Boston, a car registered to Patriots ILB Brandon Spikes was found abandoned on early Sunday morning.
- State Police were alerted to the situation shortly before 3:30a.m. after being notified by OnStar that the driver reported hitting a deer.
- Spikes’ 2011 Mercedes Maybach had front end damaged. Although, police did not find a deer.
Ravens QB Joe Flacco mentioned that he believes he can play until he’s 40 years old.
“I don’t feel any worse because of my age yet,” Flacco said, via Jamison Hensley. “I’m not going to be 50 [years old] and playing. I hope I’m 40, but 50, no.
“I’m comfortable with what I do in the offseason and who I work with when I’m not around here,” Flacco said. “And it wasn’t like that probably the first two years. But ever since then, I’m pretty comfortable and I feel good about it. It’s kind of been pretty similar, and I rely on my trainer, and when I come back here I rely on these guys. I think it’s working out really well.”
According to Halsell, Pittsburgh could increase Brown’s salary from 2015-2017 to $34.5 million, while adding two additional years to his deal. On top of that, the Steelers could give Brown a $16 million signing bonus that’s prorated at $3.2 million until 2019.
In the end, Brown would walk away with $12 million in new money.