Former Browns HC Hue Jackson said he does not believe “internal discord” led to him being fired by Cleveland.
“I don’t really think it was truly just about internal discord,” Jackson said, via Pat McManamon of ESPN. “I think that’s a strong word. I think you have disagreements with coaches. With Todd, with [defensive coordinator] Gregg Williams, with Amos Jones, who’s also the special-teams coordinator. I don’t think that’s internal discord.”
Jackson added that his dismissal was “truly” about QB Baker Mayfield not playing well and providing him a good situation.
“I think when you stop and look at it, it’s truly, really about Baker Mayfield,” Jackson said. “I think they want to do everything they can to put him in the situation … I mean, you got the first pick in the draft — who I think is going to be a franchise quarterback, who’s going to be a sensational player — and he’s not playing as well. So again, here is the perfect storm to move forward and move on.”
- Jason La Canfora reports that Ravens RB Alex Collins will play in Week 9 after missing time in practice this week with a foot injury.
- The Texans have ruled out CB Aaron Colvin (hamstring), WR Keke Coutee (ankle), and LB Zach Cunningham (knee) from Week 9’s game against the Broncos.
- Houston also listed OLB Jadeveon Clowney (groin), S Andre Hal (shoulder, and S Johnathan Joseph (ankle/knee) as questionable.
- Sarah Barshop expects Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins to get the “majority of targets” in Week 9, while WR Tyler Ervin will line up in the slot.
- The Tennessee Titans officially ruled out LB Derrick Morgan (shoulder) and list LB Will Compton (hamstring) as questionable for Week 9’s game against the Cowboys.