As for No. 1 overall pick Baker Mayfield, Jackson says that he’s very excited about him, but still thinks people should pump the brakes a bit on him.
“Let’s make sure we pump our brakes a little bit because he has a ways to go and a lot to learn,” Jackson said. “I am very excited about him. He has a lot of characteristics that we love. That is why he is here.”
- Jackson, Browns OC Todd Haley has “total autonomy” over the team’s offense. Jackson added that he has complete trust in Haley because he’s “one of the best in the business.” (Aditi Kinkhabwala)
- Browns first-round CB Denzel Ward was held out of Saturday’s practice as a “precautionary move” due to a hip flexor strain. (Scott Petrak)
While there has been concern about first-round QB Lamar Jackson‘s accuracy, Ravens HC John Harbaugh says that’s not an issue from his perspective.
“The thing that I was really impressed with is I thought he was accurate,” Harbaugh said Saturday, via Pro Football Talk. “You read the reports and stuff like that but he’s a naturally talented thrower. He’s got natural arm talent. And that’s something that I think people were questioning. So to see him out here throwing the ball naturally and very accurately I thought was a big plus.”
- A league source who spoke wiht Ben Volin of the Boston Globe predicted that Ozzie Newsome’s departure from Baltimore after this season is going to have a bad effect on the relationship between Jackson and Harbaugh.
- Volin’s source said: “Ozzie is the buffer there. There’s going to be some friction.”
- Jim Wyatt of the TitansOnline.com admits that OLB Kevin Dodd has not lived up to his draft value as a second-round pick due to two procedures he has had on his foot. Wyatt adds that Dodd clearly needs to step up in 2018 and the coachings staff believes they can help him take a step forward.
- Wyatt considers QB Blaine Gabbert to be the “favorite” to secure the team’s backup job this summer over sixth-round pick Luke Falk and Tyler Ferguson.