AFC Notes: Chargers, Jets, Patriots, Raiders
- Eric D. Williams writes that it would certainly be worth the Chargers kicking the tires on free agent LB NaVorro Bowman and see if he can help bolster one of the worst run defenses in the NFL.
- Williams points out that the Chargers are in a good position to find out more information about Bowman, considering that 49ers DC Robert Saleh served on Gus Bradley’s coaching staff with the Seahawks and Jaguars.
- Although, Williams mentions that Bowman would likely have to accept a reduced role with the Chargers.
- Rich Cimini writes that it’s funny how well things worked out in the favor of the Jets after they showed interest in LB Dont’a Hightower in free agency, traded S Calvin Pryor to the Browns for Demario Davis and released veteran LB David Harris.
- The Jets also got Davis to accept a paycut, which saved them $4.25 million.
- Mike Reiss of ESPN writes that Patriots LB Shea McClellin (injured reserve) has been around the team, participating in meetings, and those close to him relay that he has been feeling much better. According to Reiss, McClellin could be on the cusp of a return to the practice field.
- The Patriots placed WR Malcolm Mitchell on injured reserve with a knee injury back in September. Reiss mentions that his sense regarding Mitchell is that he is “not close to being a consideration to begin practicing at this point, if at all this year.“
- Patriots DT Vincent Valentine (knee) has been participating in meetings and appears to still be a consideration to return at some point, according to Reiss.
- Reiss says that the Patriots’ decision to pay CB Ryan Lewis an active roster salary of $465,000 is a result of the Bills showing a willingness to sign him to its 53-man roster. However, Lewis elected to remain in New England because of his familiarity with the coaching staff.
- Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Raiders CB Gareon Conley (shin splits) is out for Sunday’s game and has a big doctor’s appointment scheduled for Tuesday.
- According to Rapoport, Conley, “could be put on the shelf for weeks to heal.“
Tags Calvin Pryor David Harris Demario Davis Gareon Conley Malcolm Mitchell NaVorro Bowman Ryan Lewis Shea McClellin Vincent Valentine