Home / Chiefs / AFC Notes: Chiefs, Colts, Dolphins, Jaguars, & Jets
AFC Notes: Chiefs, Colts, Dolphins, Jaguars, & Jets
- Even prior to the DUI and possible suspension for CB Sean Smith, Adam Teicher of ESPN viewed cornerback as a top priority in the draft for the Chiefs.
- Teicher likes the idea of the Chiefs trading down at least a “few” spots to acquire more draft picks.
- Teicher believes the Chiefs have to eventually replace ILB Derrick Johnson, but it doesn’t have to be in this year’s draft.
- Teicher does not view Washington NT Danny Shelton as a logical fit at the No. 18 overall pick, since he is viewed as primarily a run defender and could be schemed out of the lineup.
- Mike Wells of ESPN believes it is highly unlikely that the Colts will re-sign free agent RB Ahmad Bradshaw, due to his inability to stay healthy.
- Wells notes that the Colts are depleted at cornerback, and should be expected to draft up to two players at the position.
- Wells expects the Colts to keep an open mind in regards to trading up or trading down in the draft.
- James Walker of ESPN views wide receiver as the ideal position for the Dolphins to address in the first round.
- However, Walker views linebacker as the Dolphins biggest need, but notes that middle linebacker is one of the thinnest positions in the draft.
- Walker could see the Dolphins drafting RB Todd Gurley at No. 14 if receivers Devante Parker, Kevin White, and Amari Cooper are no longer on the board.
- Regardless of Gurley’s ACL injury, Walker notes that Miami could ease him into the starting lineup since they still have Lamar Miller on the roster.
- If Parker is still on the board at No. 14, Walker views him as the logical choice for Miami.
- Mike DiRocco of ESPN believes that wide receiver is the only other position in play for the Jaguars to select at No. 3 overall outside of an edge rusher.
- If the Jaguars do grab a wide receiver, DiRocco expects Alabama’s Amari Cooper to be their guy.
- DiRocco anticipates WR Greg Jennings to sign with a contending team since he is towards the end of his career.
- DiRocco does not expect TE Marcedes Lewis to be traded prior to draft day, due to him being scheduled to make $6.65 million, while carrying a $8.2 million cap number.
- The Jaguars are expected to draft a wide receiver at some point during the draft, with Kansas State’s Tyler Lockett being a fit as a mid-round pick.
- DiRocco does not see the Jaguars drafting a wide receiver like Missouri’s Dorial Green-Beckham in the second round. Instead, DiRocco seems to think the Jaguars are leaning towards drafting a running back with the pick.
- According to DiRocco, the Jaguars are unlikely to be in play for Minnesota RB Adrian Peterson.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN considers it unlikely that Oregon QB Marcus Mariota will fall to No. 6 overall.
- Cimini believes the Jets would trade the sixth overall pick in exchange for Chargers QB Philip Rivers if they were offered such a deal.
- Cimini would select WR Amari Cooper over Georgia RB Todd Gurley at No. 6, but could see the Jets trading down to the “12 to 15 range” if they decide they want Gurley.
- Cimini considers Iowa OL Brandon Scherff, West Virginia WR Kevin White, or Florida OLB Dante Fowler to be options for the Jets if Marcus Mariota and Amari Cooper are gone.
Tags Adrian Peterson Ahmad Bradshaw Amari Cooper Brandon Scherff Dante Fowler Derrick Johnson DeVante Parker Greg Jennings Kevin White Lamar Miller Marcedes Lewis Marcus Mariota Philip Rivers Sean Smith Todd Gurley Tyler Lockett