Home / Chiefs / AFC Notes: Chiefs, Jaguars, Jets & Ravens
AFC Notes: Chiefs, Jaguars, Jets & Ravens
- Adam Teicher of ESPN thinks the Chiefs will draft a wide receiver in the first round, with Oklahoma’s Dorial Green-Beckham or Kansas State’s Tyler Lockett being possible targets.
- Teicher believes the Chiefs’ “hand may be forced” to release WR Dwayne Bowe due to his $14 million cap charge. Although, he admits that Kansas City would prefer to keep him on their roster.
- Chiefs are not expected to trade up in the draft for a player such as Alabama WR Amari Cooper.
- With the uncertainty surrounding SS Eric Berry and the possibility of safeties Ron Parker and Kurt Coleman departing to free agency, Teicher believes the Chiefs may draft a safety.
- Michael DiRocco of ESPN believes the Jaguars would rather trade down if there are no pass rushers that they like with the No. 3 overall pick, than draft Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston in hopes to trade them to quarterback needy teams.
- HC Gus Bradley said the rushing offense will primarily be a zone-blocking scheme with some incorporation of gap schemes.
- DiRocco says it is possible the Jaguars draft either Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon or Georgia RB Todd Gurley in the second round if they’re available.
- However, DiRocco states drafting a running back “would be a waste” due to Bradley and GM David Caldwell already saying that RB Toby Gerhart will have a role in the offense in 2015.
- DiRocco labeled impending free agent TE Julius Thomas as a “priority” to sign.
- DiRocco expects the Jaguars to sign a tight end through free agency, and draft a tight end due to Marcedes Lewis being in the final year of his contract.
- DiRocco lists in order the Jaguars’ positions of priority to sign in free agency as: right tackle, offensive line depth, tight end, veteran receiver, outside linebacker, and running back.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN believes that in the event Oregon QB Marcus Mariota is drafted prior to the Jets’ No. 6 overall pick, they could select Michigan State CB Trae Waynes or to trade down and grab the best cornerback available.
- Cimini believes it is more likely that CB Darrelle Revis signs with the Jets than the Bills, if he is released by the Patriots.
- Jamison Hensley of ESPN writes the Ravens are “certainly due” to draft a wide receiver with the No. 26 overall pick. Assistant GM Eric DeCosta admitted he feels that “elite” wide receiver talent can be found at the end of the first round.
- Hensley believes the Ravens will pursue a wide receiver in free agency if they cannot re-sign impending free agent WR Torrey Smith.
- Hensley expects the Ravens to draft a wide receiver in the first round regardless of their ability to re-sign Smith.
- Hensley mentions Saints WR Marques Colston as a player the Ravens could target should he be released by New Orleans.
- Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon could be a first-round target for Baltimore, due to his experience with former Wisconsin RB coach Thomas Hammock, who was added to the Ravens’ coaching staff.
- Hensley “wouldn’t be shocked” if the Ravens drafted Minnesota TE Maxx Williams, Clemson DE Vic Beasley, or Florida State CB P.J. Williams in the first round.
- Hensley lists four other running backs Baltimore could target after the first round: Indiana’s Tevin Coleman, Miami’s Duke Johnson, Florida’s Matt Jones, and Mississippi State’s Josh Robinson.
Tags Amari Cooper Darrelle Revis Dorial Green-Beckham Duke Johnson Dwayne Bowe Eric Berry Josh Robinson Julius Thomas Kurt Coleman Marcedes Lewis Marques Colston Matt Jones Maxx Williams Melvin Gordon P.J. Williams Ron Parker Tevin Coleman Todd Gurley torrey smith Trae Waynes Tyler Lockett Vic Beasley