Home / Colts / AFC Notes: Colts, Dolphins, Patriots
AFC Notes: Colts, Dolphins, Patriots
- Kevin Bowen of 1070 The Fan writes that it is “a given” first-round pick Quenton Nelson starts at left guard for the Colts, while second-round pick Braden Smith has “definite ground” to make up on veteran Matt Slauson for a starting role.
- Bowen mentions that the Colts cannot afford for C Ryan Kelly to suffer another injury after landing on the injured reserve last season. Bowen expects Kelly to be “highly motivated” this season, given that the Colts will have to decide whether to pick up his fifth-year option.
- As for LT Anthony Castonzo, Bowen believes he should have at least a couple of more capable seasons ahead of him.
- Tom Curran of NBC Boston believes an extension for Patriots DE Trey Flowers is “no sure thing” given he could price himself out of New England based on his contractual demands. Curran expects Flowers to seek an annual salary of around $13 million.
- Although Curran does not view Patriots RG Shaq Mason as a top 10 guard, he expects Mason to target a large contract based on the recent contracts signed by guards the past few years.
- As for Patriots DT Malcolm Brown, Curran writes the team is willing to see whether he plays well in the final year of his contract. However, Curran says that the Patriots aren’t going to pay him big money to return next year and it’s possible that he and Danny Shelton could be playing for one job with the team moving forward.
- Regarding other impending free agents, Curran does not think the Patriots will heavily invest in CB Eric Rowe, WR Chris Hogan, or P Ryan Allen.
Tags Anthony Castonzo Braden Smith Chris Hogan Danny Shelton Drew Lock Eric Rowe Jarrett Stidham Justin Herbert Malcolm Brown Matt Slauson Quenton Nelson Ryan Allen Ryan Kelly Ryan Tannehill Shaq Mason Shea Patterson Trey Flowers