Home Colts AFC Notes: Colts, Steelers, Titans
- According to Stephen Holder of USA Today Sports, there is “optimism” that Colts QB Andrew Luck (shoulder) will play this preseason, and their goal is to have him back in the lineup for training camp later this month.
- Holder mentions that the Colts need 2017 first-round S Malik Hooker to be an Ed Reed clone for the defense. However, Holder admits that it’s possible Hooker could be late to start the season, given that he’s coming off of an ACL tear.
- Joe Rutter of the Tribune-Review does not expect Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell to show up from training camp until September, assume the two parties don’t reach an agreement on a long-term deal before the upcoming deadline.
- Rutter notes that Steelers RB James Conner has fully recovered from knee surgery and “has a chance” to gain a larger role if Bell is absent from training camp, which is expected.
- Rutter could see fifth-round RB Jaylen Samuels being featured on third-down and short-yardage situations.
- With Samuels on the active roster, Rutter believes RB Fitzgerald Toussaint will face a difficult time making the 53-man roster.
- Jim Wyatt of TitansOneline.com admits that Titans QB Marcus Mariota didn’t put together the kind of season many anticipated he would last year. However, Wyatt says that the changes being made to the team’s offense should benefit Mariota long-term and he still thinks Mariota will be Tennessee’s franchise quarterback for the foreseeable future.
- As for Titans G Quinton Spain, Wyatt writes that he must hold off Kevin Pamphile for a starting role, but could still be used at right tackle if Jack Conklin isn’t ready to return for a knee injury.
- Regarding undrafted free agents fighting for a roster spot, Wyatt mentions that WRs Jordan Veasy, Devin Ross, and Deontay Burnett impressed during offseason workouts and it’s possible that RB Akrum Wadley and OLB Sharif Finch could push for roster spots this summer.