AFC Notes: Jaguars, Jets, Texans
- Albert Breer reports that Blake Bortles‘ new contract with the Jaguars including $20 million guaranteed at signing that will be paid out in 2018.
- Bortles will get $16 million in 2019 with $6.5 million of this figure fully guaranteed at signing.
- This means that the base value of Bortles’ contract comes out to 1) 20M, 2) $36M, 3) $54M.
- Jacksonville can pay Bortles $6.5 million to move on from him next year if they want, so this could end up being just a one-year deal.
- Rich Cimini reports that the Jets believe Kirk Cousins can solve their long-term issue at quarterback and are prepared to be aggressive in their approach toward signing him in free agency.
- Cimini says that the Jets should know where things stand with free agents including QB Josh McCown, CB Morris Claiborne, LB Demario Davis and TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins following the Combine.
- Cimini wouldn’t be surprised if former Jets C Nick Mangold were to announce his retirement from the NFL in the coming months.
- Sarah Barshop of ESPN writes that it’s possible the Texans could part ways with veteran RB Lamar Miller just two years into his four-year contract.
- However, given his prior production and the fact that they will have plenty of cap room to work with this offseason, Houston could give Miller another chance to produce in 2018.
- Should Miller put together another disappointing season and D’Onta Foreman continue to improve, Barshop says Miller may not be back in Houston next year.
Tags Austin Seferian-Jenkins Blake Bortles D'Onta Foreman Demario Davis Josh McCown Kirk Cousins Lamar Miller Morris Claiborne Nick Mangold