Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk takes a look at the Jaguars’ options at quarterback this offseason.
- As of now, Blake Bortles is in line to be paid $19 million for the 2018 season under the fifth-year option of his rookie contract. This figure will become fully guaranteed at the start of the 2018 league year.
- Jacksonville could try to sign Bortles to an extension this offseason. However, Florio mentions that his agent will likely set the starting point at the $19 million he’s owed for the upcoming seasons in terms of an annual salary.
- The Jaguars could allow Bortles to play out the year under the fifth-year option and use the 2018 season to further evaluate his development, which would set up a situation where they may have to franchise him next year.
- Florio adds that Jacksonville could cut Bortles and allow him to test the open market before deciding whether to re-sign him.
- The last option would be to simply release Bortles and begin searching for a new quarterback.
Jay Glazer reports that Brady’s thumb injury will not be an issue for him in the Super Bowl, as he’ll have had plenty of time to heal by then and could even get the stitches removed.
- According to Schefter, Jimmy Garoppolo receives $79,000 in bonuses from the Patriots’ playoff wins and trip to the Super Bowl. If New England wins, Garoppolo gets $112,000 otherwise he’d receive $56,000.
- Mike Florio or Pro Football Talk makes the case that HC Bill Belichick’s real value is closer to the $25 million per year, which is what teams pay a starting quarterback, than the $12 million salary he reportedly receives from New England.
Florio mentions that Belichick not only does a great job of coaching and developing, but he plays a role in personnel management among other things.
- Titans HC Mike Vrabel said during his introductory press conference Monday that he envisions putting guys around QB Marcus Mariota to help him and the team develop. (Jim Wyatt)
- According to Vrabel, there’s no timetable for putting together his coaching staff and he wants to ensure that he’s hiring the right guys. (Jim Wyatt)
- Vrabel explained that they’ll be multiple in terms of their base defense. (Jim Wyatt)
- Titans owner Amy Adams Strunk tells Paul Kuharsky that they plan to have a big event to unveil new uniforms in April.