Jets WR Jermaine Kearse isn’t worried about the fact that he’ll have to compete for his job this summer, given that he’s set to earn a non-guaranteed base salary of $5 million.
“Competition is good for everything,” Kearse said, via the New York Daily News. “It doesn’t allow people to be content with where they’re at. I’ve dealt with competition my whole career. I was undrafted, so I thrive off competition. At the end of the day, I’m going to have to elevate my game if I want an opportunity to compete. So, I think it’s great. You see the guys who compete and you see the guys who don’t. I’m never going to be the person who gets upset because I got to compete. I’m down for it.
“Some people don’t want to compete. Some people think they should be (guaranteed a spot). But I feel the cream always rises to the top. If someone’s going to beat me, I mean, f—. They did a hell of a job, because I know I’m not going to make it easy.”
- Doug Kyed of NESN mentions that he would probably take Jeremy Hill over Mike Gillislee at this point in terms of the Patriots’ short-yardage running back.
- Kyed notes that undrafted CB J.C. Jackson stood out during the team’s OTA practice open to the media last week and received first-team reps opposite of Stephon Gilmore.
- At tight end, Kyed says that the Patriots will likely have Jacob Hollister, Will Tye, Dwayne Allen, Ryan Izzo and Troy Niklas competing for two roster spots this summer behind Rob Gronkowski.
- Kyed takes a shot at projecting the Patriots starting offense: QB Tom Brady, RB Sony Michel, WR Julian Edelman, WR Chris Hogan, WR Kenny Britt, TE Rob Gronkowski, LT Isaiah Wynn, LG Joe Thuney, C David Andrews, RG Shaq Mason, RT Marcus Cannon.
- Here’s Kyed’s defensive projection: DE Trey Flowers, DT Danny Shelton, DT Malcom Brown, DE Derek Rivers, LB Dont’a Hightower, LB Kyle Van Noy, CB Stephon Gilmore, CB Jason McCourty, FS Devin McCourty, FS Duron Harmon, SS Patrick Chung.
- Jim Wyatt of the Titans’ official site writes that CB Kalan Reed is valuable to the team due to his versatility to play multiple positions in the secondary, but must play well during offseason activities to gain a substantial defensive role since the team has CBs Logan Ryan, Adoree Jackson, Malcolm Butler, LeShaun Sims and Tye Smith.
- Wyatt names three undrafted rookies who have intrigued him so far this offseason, including Iowa RB Akrum Wadley, USC WR Deontay Burnett, and Temple OLB Sharif Finch.
- Regarding the team’s backup quarterback role, Wyatt says that Blaine Gabbert has a “big edge” over sixth-round QB Luke Falk due to his experience.
- When asked about Titans OLB Kevin Dodd‘s roster spot, Wyatt writes that Dodd has been absent from OTAs, while linebackers like Brian Orakpo, Derrick Morgan, Harold Landry, and Aaron Wallace are the competition ahead of him on the depth chart.
- Wyatt adds that Dodd’s ability to play as a defensive lineman could help him stay on the roster, but he is going to have to “earn his spot” once he returns to practice.