- According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, the Raiders and Mack aren’t waiting for the Rams to sign DT Aaron Donald to a long-term extension before getting serious about a long-term deal of their own.
- Bovada has odds posted for which team Mack will be playing for after this year’s trade deadline, which includes 1) Raiders +150, 2) Packers +275, 3) Bills +700, 4) Jets, Cowboys and Colts +800, 7) Redskins +900, 8) Steelers +1200.
- On Monday, the Broncos announced that Chad Kelly is taking over as their No. 2 quarterback following a disappointing showing from Paxton Lynch last week.
- Nicki Jhabvala reports that the decision was made solely by Broncos HC Vance Joseph.
- Regarding Lynch, Joseph said he’s “got to play better” in the coming weeks: “Simple as that, it’s a competition. No one’s not playing their best players.” (Jeff Legwold)
- Joseph also said of Lynch: “He is upset and he didn’t like it. He wants to know why, and he’s got to play better. It’s as simple as that. It’s a competition. It’s the league. Everyone is doing this, no one is not playing their best players.” (Mike Klis)
- The Broncos signed LB A.J. Johnson after he was acquitted of rape at the University of Tennessee.
- According to Ben Volin, Johnson received $50,000 guaranteed as part of his contract with the Broncos, which is more than they gave any other undrafted rookie.
- Volin adds that Johnson picked the Broncos over the Johnson the Dolphins and a couple other teams.
- Mike Klis reports that the Falcons were also in the mix for Johnson.
After agreeing to a small pay cut and being activated from the Raiders PUP list, Donald Penn saw time at right tackle during Tuesday’s practice.
“I’m not going to play much longer. I want to win,” Penn said, via Scott Bair of NBC Sports Bay Area. “I’ll do whatever it takes to win.”
Penn did, however, say that he isn’t sure if the move to right tackle will be permanent.
“Awkward, rusty,” Penn said. “I don’t know if it’s going to be permanent.”
- Vic Tafur reports that Raiders S Obi Melifonwu is seeing a specialist on Tuesday regarding his “lower body” injury and there’s some concern that it could be related to last year’s season-ending hip surgery.