Seattle was reportedly interested in bringing Winfield back following Brandon Browner‘s recent suspension, but they elected to sign Perrish Cox instead. Interestingly enough, Cox was cut loose just a few days later, so they could still use some additional help at corner.
Winfield is believed to be settled into life with his family, so we’ll have to see if he’s willing to return to the NFL after Seattle released him a few months ago.
- Silver mentions that Seattle is expected to bring in CB Perrish Cox for a tryout Tuesday.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Seahawks brought in CB Marcus Trufant for a workout on Monday.
Jason La Canfora reports that although the Seahawks have expressed interest in signing Winfield, there is no deal is in place.
According to La Canfora, Winfield “remains retired” and is at home mulling his options with his family.
Seahawks HC Pete Carroll told 710 ESPN Radio that there is a chance veteran CB Antoine Winfield could be brought back.
“That’s a possibility,” said Carroll, per Chris Cluff. “We’ll figure that out when the time comes.”
- Ian Rapoport reports that the idea has been discussed, but Winfield is reportedly “settled into family life.”
- Rapoport adds that Winfield is in good shape.
- Mike Garafolo mentions that the two parties remain in contact with one another.
Seattle lost Brandon Browner to could be done for the rest of the regular season due to a groin injury. He was initially given a timetable of 4-6 weeks, so there is a shot he returns before the playoffs.
On Sunday, it was reported that Walter Thurmond received a four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. It’s believed that Thurmond received the suspension for testing positive for marijuana.
Winfield announced that he was retiring back in August, but never officially retired. It seemed likely that he would have been released had he not retired. Shortly after the retirement announcement, reports indicated that Winfield was open to returning if the right situation presented itself. He worked out for the Texans, but nothing ever came from his visit to Houston.
The fact that he spent training camp in Seattle would at least help his chances of making an impact if the Seahawks were in fact interested in bringing him back.
We’ll have to see if the Seahawks show any interest this week as they prepare for a big game against the Saints.
- Mike Garafolo also mentions that Winfield returning to Seattle is a possibility.