Breer mentions that although recent reports had said NFL teams were aware that Cutler was on the trading block, the Bears did not try to add him to the trade talks for WR Brandon Marshall.
John Fox assembled a “very Cutler-friendly staff” by hiring Adam Gase as offensive coordinator and bringing Dowell Loggains, who knows Cutler, as the team’s QBs coach.
Breer believes the Bears’ new coaching staff can work with Cutler for at least the time being.
It would take a “crazy offer” for Chicago to move on from, according to Breer.
Ian Rapoport of NFL Media pointed out earlier in the week that the Bears will be forced to decide on Cutler’s future by next week when $10 million of his contract becomes fully guaranteed for the 2016 season.
Cutler, 31, still has another six years remaining on his seven-year, $126.7 million contract that included $54 million guaranteed.
As of now, Chicago has paid Cutler $22.5 million of the $38 million in guarantees included in his agreement.
According to OverTheCap.com, releasing Cutler outright would actually cost them cap space while creating a staggering $19.5 million in dead money. Even the idea of making Cutler a post-June 1 release wouldn’t add any cap space, so trading him is really their best option.
The best option for the Bears would be trade him, as they could free up $12.5 million in cap space and take on just $4 million in dead money.
The problem, of course, is the fact that teams likely view his contract as an albatross and wouldn’t be willing to part with draft compensation for him. A few months ago, reports said that the Bears may need to throw in a draft pick to actually trade him. That’s how bad of a situation this is for Chicago.
In 2014, Cutler completed 66.1 percent of his passes for 3,812 yards to go along with 28 touchdowns and 18 interceptions over the course of 15 games. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 32 quarterback out of 39 qualifying players.
We’ll have more regarding Cutler as the news is available.