ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Bills are bringing former Jets HC Rex Ryan back for a second interview in Florida Saturday night.
According to Joe Buscaglia, there is “mutual” interest between the Bills and Ryan regarding their head-coaching vacancy.
Ryan has interviewed for the Falcons and 49ers, so it appears as though he could end up being offered one of these three positions at some point in the near future.
The list of candidates for the Bills’ job reportedly consists of:
- Bills DC Jim Schwartz (interviewed)
- Bengals OC Hue Jackson (interviewed)
- Lions DC Teryl Austin
- Colts OC Pep Hamilton
- Chargers OC Frank Reich (interviewed)
- Broncos OC Adam Gase
- Browns OC Kyle Shanahan (interviewed)
- Patriots OC Josh McDaniels
- Former Redskins HC Mike Shanahan (interviewed)
- Former Jets HC Rex Ryan (interviewed)
- Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell
- Seahawks DC Dan Quinn (interviewed)
- Eagles OC Pat Shurmur
- 49ers OC Greg Roman (interviewed)
Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports that Bills GM Doug Whaley has a long history with Lions DC Teryl Austin and thinks “very highly” of him.
- The Bills will host Austin for an interview in the coming days, but he also has interest from the Falcons, 49ers and Bears.
Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, citing a league source, reports that the Buffalo Bills are “concerned” that former Jets HC Rex Ryan may not be interested in taking their head-coaching job, due to their unsettled quarterback situation.
Florio mentions that the thinking in some league circles is that Ryan’s prefers the Atlanta Falcons job with his backup option being a job at ESPN.
Reports from earlier in the day mentioned that Bills GM Doug Whaley has been telling coaching candidates that E.J. Manuel’s struggles were related to coaching. However, the concerns regarding the team’s quarterback position are evident.
The Bills sent the Browns their 2015 first-round pick for the right to select WR Sammy Watkins last year, so they could be forced to consider upgrades in free agency, the trade market or later on in the draft.
Ian Rapoport reports that the Bills interview with Browns OC Kyle Shanahan is scheduled for Thursday.
Kimberly Jones reports that former Jets HC Rex Ryan will interview with the Buffalo Bills on Thursday regarding their head-coaching vacancy.
- Ian Rapoport adds that the Bills will also meet with 49ers OC Greg Roman on Friday.
Sal Maiorana of the Democrat and Chronicle reports that the Bills will request an interview with former Jets HC Rex Ryan.
- According to Maiorana, Ryan is on the Bills’ long list of head-coaching candidates, but they have yet to finalize a day.
- Maiorana suggests that the Bills may have to move fast to get an interview setup with Ryan, as he’s spoken to sources that have told him Ryan’s interview with the Falcons “went well.”
Two sources tells Tim Graham of the Buffalo News that the Bills have already have interviewed with defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz for their head-coaching vacancy
Buffalo has a massive list of candidates for the job, despite the fact that they have only been in the market for a new coach for less than a week.
Tim Graham of the Buffalo News reports that the Bengals OC Hue Jackson is scheduled to interview for the Bills head-coaching job on Wednesday.
- Lions DC Teryl Austin will meet with the team on Saturday, according to Graham.
- Buffalo has interviews lined up with Colts OC Pep Hamilton and 49ers OC Greg Roman as well.
Alex Marvez reports that the 49ers have granted the Bills permission to speak with OC Greg Roman regarding their head-coaching vacancy.
- According to Marvez, the meeting will take place on Friday..
John Middlekauff reports that Mike Shanahan could take on a general manager type of role with the Bills and hire his son, Kyle, as the team’s head coach.
According to Adam Schefter, the Buffalo Bills head-coaching search has expanded to include 49ers OC Greg Roman and Eagles OC Pat Shurmur.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Bills have requested permission to interview Browns OC Kyle Shanahan for their head-coaching vacancy.
- Shanahan has reportedly found interest from the San Francisco 49ers as well.
Dianna Marie Russini reports that former Jets HC Rex Ryan is a candidate for the Bills job.
- Tim Graham previously reported that the Bills do have interest in speaking with Ryan regarding their head-coaching vacancy, but a meeting has yet to be scheduled.
Ryan has already met with the 49ers and has an interview scheduled with the Falcons tomorrow.
Former Bills QB and Chargers OC Frank Reich interviewed for the Bills’ head-coaching vacancy on Sunday, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that former Redskins HC Mike Shanahan spent Sunday meeting with Buffalo Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula, as well as other team officials.
- Mark Maske reports that the Eagles have granted the Bills permission to speak with OC Pat Shurmur regarding their head-coaching position.
Previous reports mentioned that Shanahan has already interviewed with the Raiders. Up to this point, Shanahan has done a good job of drumming interest as the 49ers and Bears have also come up as potential options for the veteran head coach.
Albert Breer of NFL Media reports that the Bills have submitted a former request interview Bengals OC Hue Jackson, and are currently in the process of locking down a time for him to meet with the team.
Meanwhile, Ian Rapoport reports that the Bills are willing to wait for Colts OC Pep Hamilton to be available. As of now, the time window for the two parties to meet is too limited and there are logistical challenges this week.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Bills have requested permission to interview Bengals OC Hue Jackson and Lions DC Teryl Austin for their head-coaching vacancy Saturday.
Ian Rapoport reports that the Bills are interviewing Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell for their head-coaching vacancy Saturday.
- Buffalo is also meeting with Seahawks DC Dan Quinn today as well.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Buffalo Bills have requested permission to interview Colts OC Pep Hamilton and former Broncos and Redskins HC Mike Shanahan.
- Schefter adds that Shanahan has confirmed there have been discussions between him and the Bills.
The Raiders have also shown interest in Hamilton. Shanahan has been linked to the 49ers and Bears.
Jason La Canfora would not be surprised if the Bills set up an interview with former Redskins HC Mike Shanahan.
- La Canfora adds that “there is some interest” in Shanahan possibly becoming the team’s head coach.
Shanahan has been linked to the 49ers and Bears head-coaching vacancies as well.
Tim Graham reports that the Bills have scheduled interviews with Seahawks coordinators Darrell Bevell and Dan Quinn regarding their head-coaching vacancy.
- ESPN’s Adam Schefter previously reported that the Bills will interview Quinn Saturday night.
Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports that Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson is expected to be a head coaching candidate for Bills and possibly the Falcons.
- Jackson will be available to interview for head coaching opportunities next week.
Jason La Canfora reports that the Bills have found a way to meet with Chargers OC Frank Reich, before he interview’s for the Jets’ heading coaching job.
- The interview with Buffalo will reportedly take place Sunday morning.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Bills have requested permission to speak to Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell, Broncos OC Adam Gase, Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, and Seahawks DC Dan Quinn regarding their head-coaching vacancy.
Tim Graham of the Buffalo News reports that defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is considered a candidate for their head-coaching vacancy.
Graham also confirms that Bills GM Doug Whaley met with owner Terry Pegula on Thursday to formulate a plan of attack for finding their next head coach. Interviews with candidates are currently being scheduled.
Ian Rapoport reports that the Buffalo Bills have put in a request to interview Chargers OC Frank Reich for the head coaching positions.
- Rapoport adds that GM Doug Whaley will be the one to lead the search for a new head coach.
As soon as the news broke that Doug Marrone has opted out of his contract, Reich was mentioned as the guy to keep an eye on, so this is a situation worth monitoring in the coming days.
Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Bills are requesting permission to speak with Broncos OC Adam Gase.
The Bills are just getting started in their head coaching search, but Chargers OC Frank Reich is reportedly on their radar as well. For what it’s worth former Steelers HC Bill Cowher’s name has come up, although it’s hard to say if he would consider returning for the Bills’ job.
Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Bills owner Terry Pegula is willing to pay what it would take sign the right head coach.
According to Rapoport, “absolutely everyone is on the table” for the Bills when it comes to finding their next head coach.
As for Doug Marrone’s decision to leave, he was reportedly concerned about Buffalo bringing in a football czar that he didn’t know.
Rapoport mentions that the Bills would have signed him a big money contract had he stayed, but the uncertainty apparently got to him.
Pro Football Talk points out that Tim Graham had suggested during the season that Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula could possibly make a run at Bill Cowher.
The Buffalo Bills have officially announced that HC Doug Marrone has, in fact, opted out of his agreement and is now a free agent.
Here’s our article that includes more details regarding Marrone’s decision.
Owner Terry Pegula says that they will begin the process of finding their next head coach immediately.
Reich has been mentioned as a candidate for the Jets job as well, but several reports have mentioned that they are likely to turn their attention to Marrone now that he’s available.
We’ll have more updates as the news is available.