Impending free agent OLB Lorenzo Alexander tells Alex Marvez of the Sporting News that the Bills have reached out to him and expressed interest in re-signing him. However, he says that he plans to see what other offers are available to him.
“[The Bills] have reached out to me. They want me to be back,” Alexander said. “I’m waiting to see what all the offers are on the table. My wife and I will sit down and make the best decision for ourselves.”
The Bills could be moving to a 4-3 base defense next year under new HC Sean McDermott but Alexander doesn’t view this as a big issue for him.
“I’ve heard great things about (McDermott),” Alexander said. “I know I can play in any scheme in the league, but obviously coaches have their own opinion.
Earlier in the month, Alexander told Sal Capaccio that his agent has had “preliminary discussions” with Buffalo about re-signing with the club.
Mike Rodak points out that because Alexander signed a veteran minimum exception deal with the Bills, he cannot re-sign with the team until March 9, which means it’s likely he’ll be in position to test the open market.
It’s possible, of course, they could have an agreement in place on a long-term extension to be signed at the start of free agency.
Alexander, 33, originally signed on with the Panthers as an undrafted free agent out of back in 2005. He spent just over one season in Carolina before playing for a number of teams including the Ravens, Redskins, Cardinals and Raiders.
The Bills elected to sign Alexander to a one-year, $885,000 contract last April.
In 2016, Alexander appeared in all 16 games for the Bills and recorded 12.5 sacks, 76 tackles, one interception, three forced fumbles and six pass defenses. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 31 outside linebacker out of 113 qualifying players.
We have him featured in our Top 100 – 2017 Free Agents list.