Here’s a running list of reports and rumors pertaining to the Bills’ head-coaching search. Be sure to check back for the latest news.
- Vic Carucci reports that the Bills remain in a holding pattern with their top head-coaching candidates — interim HC Anthony Lynn and Panthers DC Sean McDermott — while they meet with other teams. However, Carucci says that control over the 53-man roster is still negotiable.
- Albert Breer mentions that all signs have pointed to the Bills hiring Anthony Lynn as their next head coach and bringing in Gus Bradley to run their defense. However, Breer says that the longer this situation plays out, the less of a “shoo-in” Lynn seems to be. Breer wouldn’t be surprised if Panthers DC Sean McDermott winds up making the call tough on the owners, but admits that the pairing with GM Doug Whaley may not be ideal.
- Jason La Canfora mentions that even though Anthony Lynn is “well placed” to get the Bills’ head coaching job, he continues to hear from sources that Panthers DC Sean McDermott left Bills’ ownership “super impressed.”
- Sal Capaccio reports that the reports of a new head coach holding “more power” in regards to personnel decision isn’t entirely accurate and Bills GM Doug Whaley will maintain control of the 53-man roster. According to Capaccio, the Bills have been impressed by Seahawks DC Kris Richard’s energy and enthusiasm. However, Capaccio believes Anthony Lynn and Panthers DC Sean McDermott are the “front runners” for their head-coaching job.
- Jason La Canfora writes that Panthers DC Sean McDermott “would love” to be paired with former Chargers HC Mike McCoy if he lands a head-coaching job. McDermott reportedly had a “very strong” interview with Buffalo in recent days.
- Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Bills are planning to give their head coach more power within the organization. Tom Pelissero adds that the Bills are open to giving a head-coach control of the 530man roster, depending on the candidate.
- Adam Schefter reports that Seahawks DC Kris Richard is expected to interview with the Bills as soon as Sunday.
- The Bills announced that they held a second interview for Cardinals OC Harold Goodwin on Saturday.
- Jason La Canfora reports that there has been a lot of in-fighting going on and whether they’ll hire interim HC Anthony Lynn as their next head coach. According to La Canfora, Lynn has “strong interest support” and is favored by key players on the roster. However, the possibility remains that they could move in a different direction altogether. La Canfora says that Panthers DC Sean McDermott left a “very strong impression” on the Bills during his interview and Lions DC Teryl Austin could be an option for Buffalo.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Bills have scheduled their interview with Cardinals OC Harold Goodwin for Friday.
- Alex Marvez reports that the Bills are interested in interviewing Seahawks DC Kris Richard for their head-coaching vacancy but can’t do so while the Seahawks are still in the playoffs.
- John Wawrow reports that the Bills will interview interim HC Anthony Lynn for their head-coaching job on Thursday.
- Josina Anderson reports that Cardinals OC Harold Goodwin is scheduled to meet with the Rams on Thursday and the Bills on Saturday.
- According to Vic Carucci, the Bills haven’t reached out to veteran HC Tom Coughlin about their vacancy and it doesn’t appear likely to happen with Doug Whaley leading their search for a new head coach.
- Vic Carucci reports that the Bills have scheduled their interview with Panthers DC Sean McDermott for Wednesday.
- Tim McManus reports that the Bills have contacted the Eagles about potentially interviewing OC Frank Reich for their vacant head coach position. However, no official request has been filed as of Tuesday morning.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Rams and Bills are also requesting permission to interview Dolphins HC Vance Joseph for their head-coaching job.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Bills have requested permission to interview Panthers DC Sean McDermott for their head-coaching vacancy.
- Vic Carucci confirms that McDermott will interview with the Bills and adds that Eagles OC Frank Reich is expected to be interviewed for the job as well.
- Cardinals HC Bruce Arians announced that the Bills, Jaguars and Rams have all requested permission to interview OC Harold Goodwin.
- Tom Pelissero reports that while interim HC Anthony Lynn has a “good shot” at the Bills’ job, they intend to conduct a full search and have already done homework on Seahawks DC Kris Richard.
- Bills interim HC Anthony Lynn told reporters after Week 17’s game that the Bills head-coaching job “would be my No. 1.” (Pro Football Talk)
- The Bills head-coaching job could be Anthony Lynn’s to lose. Former Jaguars HC Gus Bradley could join Lynn as defensive coordinator. (NFLTR)
- Dolphins HC Vance Joseph (requested)
- Interim HC Anthony Lynn (expected)
- Cardinals OC Harold Goodwin (scheduled)
- Panthers DC Sean McDermott (scheduled)
- Eagles OC Frank Reich (expected)
- Seahawks DC Kris Richard (interested)
- Lions DC Teryl Austin (possible target)
We’ll have more regarding the Bills’ coaching search as the news is available.