The San Diego Chargers announced Sunday evening that they’ve fired HC Mike McCoy.
“Mike McCoy is a man of high character, and we thank him for his dedication to the Chargers,” said Chargers President – Football Operations John Spanos. “The decision to dismiss Mike was made in the best interests of our franchise. Our team’s disappointing performance has not matched this team’s potential and has fallen short of the demanding standards that we seek to impose throughout our organization. Our comprehensive search for a new head coach begins immediately.”
“I want to thank Mike for his tireless work and commitment to this organization,” said General Manager Tom Telesco. “He instilled a culture of work ethic and togetherness that we can build on for years to come.”
This doesn’t come as a big surprising, considering that Adam Schefter reported earlier in the day that the Chargers were preparing to part ways with McCoy, despite Telesco recommending ownership retain him for another season.
The Chargers are an interesting situation, as they have some talent to work with on both sides of the ball but have dealt with several injuries the past few years.
Their head-coaching search could be complicated by the fact that they could end up relocating the team to Los Angeles and sharing a stadium with the Rams in the coming years.
One name mentioned as a speculative option for the Chargers is Saints HC Sean Payton. Although, that would require a trade for the team to part with draft compensation for him. Even so, it’s worth keeping an eye on in the coming weeks.
McCoy, 44, was in his fourth season with the Chargers after he was hired away from the Broncos back in 2013. He has led the Chargers to a record of 27-36 (42.9 percent), which includes one playoff appearance and a playoff win.