Home / Jets / Jets Releasing WR Eric Decker

Jets Releasing WR Eric Decker

Update:

The Jets officially announced that they’re releasing veteran WR Eric Decker.

We think very highly of Eric. Our focus right now is seeing our young players, how they do,” said GM Mike Maccagnan last week. “We wish Eric, going forward, a lot of success.

“I want to thank Eric Decker for his contributions to the New York Jets over the past three seasons,” said Jets CEO Woody Johnson. “While with us, he was a competitive, productive, and dependable receiver who represented the team well both on and off the field. On behalf of the organization, I wish him the best as he continues his career.

——–

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Jets are releasing WR Eric Decker after no trade surfaced. According to Schefter, other teams wanted the Jets to eat some salary in a trade, but New York couldn’t make a deal work in the end.

According to Ian Rapoport, Decker’s release won’t be official until Tuesday.

Schefter mentioned earlier that even with the addition of WR Jeremy Maclin, the Ravens could still make a play for Decker in the coming days.

It’s possible other teams such as the Bills could be in the mix for Decker among others.

Decker, 29, is a former third-round pick of the Broncos back in 2010. He spent four years in Denver before signing a five-year, $36.25 million contract that included $15 million guaranteed with the Jets as a free agent back in 2014.

Decker was set to make base salaries of $7.25 million and $7.5 million over the remaining two years of the agreement.

According to OverTheCap.com, releasing Decker will free up $5.75 million of available cap space while creating $3 million in dead money.

In 2016, Decker was limited to appearing in just three games and catching nine passes for 194 yards receiving and two touchdowns before he was placed on season-ending injured reserve with both hip and shoulder injuries.